A Studebaker town!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker town!

I just had a crazy thought, but those are often the best kinds, so hear me out. Now that total SDC membership is at 12,500 members and counting, I wonder what it would be like if all of us were to gather and establish a community for us to profess our Studebaker-dom. I think northern Pennsylvania, western Indiana, or northern Texas would all be good candidates for us to establish the town of Steudendorf. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studendorf site.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1758269
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

If the town lets me paint my car in my own garage, I'm in.
    Last edited by scott.rodgers; 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM.
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I likely couldn't afford the move, but still think it's a great idea. Would the outskirts of town allow horse-drawn Studebakers?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Jake,
        Great idea just send me your credit card to pay for my move from Canadadorf!
        Bill

Comment

Northern Pennsylvania and western Indiana have snow. Winter road conditions not good for Studebakers. Needs to be in a warmer climate. Northern Texas also gets snow, but it don't last. A further south in Texas some where around Big Ben National Park.

Comment

I'm running for Mayor! LOL

Ooooh better yet, Sheriff. Maybe they'll get me a Pursuit Marshall!

Comment

I'm in, and all roads into town are toll roads for non Studebaker vehicles, to help us pay for the move and upkeep.

Comment

I have sometimes day dreamed about a subdivision that was Studebaker themed and old car friendly. All the streets would have Studebaker model names and there would be a recreation center with a large meeting room on one side and a big garage on the other with the kind of equipment you don't need very often, but is so handy at times. Air conditioned, of course!
                Each lot would have room for a few parts cars and a nice garage. Some streets might be named for Studebaker notables. Harbit lane, for instance, would be a long straight road at the back of the property with no cross streets with a park like strip between it and the last row of houses.
                The biggest problem would be all the guys hanging around at the shop swapping stories, getting in the way, and disappearing just as you need help.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Wow, I actually didn't think this post would get this much attention, so now it's time to draft a constitution for Steudendorf.

We, the members of the SDC, do ordain and establish our own separate settlement of Steudendorf to allow us to practice our beliefs unfettered from the needlessly burdensome regulations of the mainstream car community in addition to certain segments of the Environmental Protection Agency. It has become necessary to do this as we have been hindered for far too long by their repeated stumbling blocks of Internet mocking, parts withholding, and general animosity towards us. That being said, we shall remain aligned with the United States government and it's people, as we do not wish to dispense with our patriotism. We simply wish to exercise the powers of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness to its greatest capacity.

Article I: 10,000 acres of land in northern Indiana (approximately 100 miles south-west from South Bend) shall be privately purchased by a consortium of Studebaker enthusiasts, chief of which will be the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend. They will be sold as small plots, a maximum of 3 acres for each prospective homeowner, and a maximum of 5 acres for businesses. Home values may not exceed more than $150,000 in market value for a period of ten years after the town's founding.

Article II: Considering the fact that every resident of Steudendorf shall be driving at least one Studebaker on a regular basis, an extensive cold-weather program shall be placed into effect. No rock salt shall be used on the roads. Instead, organic salt-free deicer shall be used by the town's maintenance crew. In addition, they will have a small fleet of six Weasels with a plow attachment to the front of each. If there should be any problems with this arrangement before the town's permanent founding, there will be a motion carried to relocate to southern Texas (about 50 miles south of Dublin). A minimum of 75 percent of the populace would need to agree to relocate in order for it to occur.

Article III: Our main area of business shall be the manufacturing, sale, and distribution of Studebaker parts and memorabilia (with the express guidance of Studebaker International). That being said, a town cannot function properly with just this. There also needs to be bakeries, restaurants, movie theaters, dance halls, docks, bowling alleys, and every other convenience and pleasantry that we have grown accustomed to. Therefore, we shall encourage the growth of these many industries by reserving a $15,000 grant for any business willing to establish themselves in Steudendorf. In addition, any vehicle that is not a Studebaker that is passing by will have to pay a $2.00 toll. All proceeds from this toll will be directed to the betterment of our own schools.

Article IV: An important part of our raison d'être is to safeguard the just, necessary, and distinclty human ability of creation. Therefore, no regulation shall be foisted upon those people who have an ardent desire to craft anything they wish. All that shall be required is for a health and safety inspector to thoroughly examine the candidate's place of creation (be it a home or elsewhere) every 2 months to insure that he is executing his basic responsibility to his own health, other's well-being, and the environment.

Article V: All government employees shall be thoroughly vetted by the Anti-Corruption Agency biannually for the express purpose of eliminating corruption of office in all of it's many forms, including bribery and larceny. In addition to this, Steudendorf (projected to have 5,000 residents initially) shall have 20 police officers, 10 firemen, and 35 medical staff and doctors provided to it by the town's government.

Article VI: The police shall be issued with 8 1964 Pursuit Marshalls (modernized by Superior Auto Design in Pompano Beach, FL), 6 unmarked 1959-1964 Lark-type sedans in any trim (for use by detectives), 5 1957-1958 Golden Hawks (optimized for full performance by JBA Speed Shop in San Diego, CA), and 2 Studebaker US6 trucks that shall be converted into armored cars by Armormax LCC. in Ogden, UT. Both the firefighters and the medical staff shall receive 6 US6 trucks and 4 1948-1958 Commander sedans. The total of 20 vehicles shall be customized by either Navistar International Corp. in Lisle, IL or Horton Ambulance Co. in Grove City, OH depending upon their issue.

Article VII: A conservation movement should be made integral to the ethos of Steudendorf. Therefore, a grant of $50,000 shall be made each year to develop new technologies and methods of improving both the natural landscape and the general area. To facilitate this, the town shall establish it's own corps of 15 park rangers who shall do the most in their power to protect nature. They shall be issued 5 2R trucks and 3 Weasels that will be painted forestry colors in the same manner as the National Park Service. The rangers themselves will also be subject to the same protections and vetting as other government employees.

Article VIII: All other matters of law, such as firearms, crime, abortion, and taxes, shall be the same as those expressed by the various documents held by the federal government. The only exception to this clause is if we undoubtedly and firmly believe an unsightly overreach has been made by said government onto our sovereignty, such as in The Civil War.

Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 07-25-2018, 12:50 PM.
                  Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Addendum to Article VI and VII:
                    All Studendorf owned and supplied Vehicles shall be Propane Powered to preserve the environment, the Citizens and the Engines of said vehicles forever and prevent damage from ever increasing amounts of Federally Mandated harmful Corn Alcohol.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As old as this club is getting I doubt 35 doctors will be enough for the town. Most of us probably wouldn't be going out after dark and getting into trouble so 25 police officers would be to many. Take the police saving and hire young attractive nurses.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                        /Cut/25 police officers would be to many. Take the police saving and hire young attractive nurses.
                        Yes!

StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

With all of the police, fire, road crew, and lawn maintance personal, who can afford the taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                            With all of the police, fire, road crew, and lawn maintenance personal, who can afford the taxes.
                            Hmm...good point...either we trim down the number of gov. employees needed or we use subsidies to make up the difference. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                              Most of us probably wouldn't be going out after dark and getting into trouble so 25 police officers would be to many. Take the police saving and hire young attractive nurses.
                              Oh, sure... the first cut to the budget is the P.D.!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X