• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Studebaker truck

Didn't Know they made a coe that year.

Comment

Ugly and beauty is in the eye of the beholder

This truck has not changed much since it appeared on my Studebaker Page in October 2006.

The Web's second oldest Studepaker page. Information on Studebaker cars, trucks, and toys

Ugly and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder -- I called it a "cool custom" back in 2006 and I'll stick with that --
      Bill Jackameit
      1964 Challenger Wagonaire
      1964 Daytona Sedan
      Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
      Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
      https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Studelarkrod View Post
        Didn't Know they made a coe that year.
        They didn't! This is an amazing custom!
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bjackameit View Post
          This truck has not changed much since it appeared on my Studebaker Page in October 2006.
          I've been waiting for them to change the FORD hubcaps to M-series caps. Can't tell from this photo if they have yet. It's been a couple years since I've seen it in person.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Bob,
            Sometimes daring to be different is just so cool!
            Bill

Comment

"Ugly"? I don't agree. Like others here I have seen pictures of this really neat truck here and there. I have always thought it is a great looking truck.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Obviously, that writer has never seen a Canadian Ford product before, referring to a 1956 Monarch as a 'Pontiac'.

Craig

Comment

I agree that they took a beautiful 1948 M-5 and turned it ugly.
                  Maybe they mounted a tall ugly supercharger on it and didn't want it poking through the hood. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	1948 M-5 Custom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1721510

Comment

If Studebaker had manufactured '41-'48 COEs that looked like this we would all be beating the bushes to find one. Kudos to the builder for seeing his dream to completion.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I saw the truck in person. It was a great piece of work. Very professional. If you don't like it you shouldn't be hitting on it. The owner is a club member. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Customs traditionally represent one person's idea of something beautiful, striking, or otherwise unusual or diifferent from the original. I've seen people describe some of the worst, overchromed '50s cars, such as the '58 Olds or Buick as "beautiful." What they really mean is that they like it, but using that word makes them feel more important. I rather like this one because even though they might not have made one like this it still captures the spirit of the design Some are more successful than others. Terms like "beautiful" and "ugly," while seeming to be valid, are just as Dirty Harry described them when he said "Opinions are like a-holes - everybody's got one.
                        peter lee

Comment

It's out there being driven and more importantly being seen introducing the Studebaker name to younger generations of people interested in old vehicles.
                          That does more to promote Studebakers than vehicles sitting in garages or sheds that have not seen the light of day in years.
                          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Its a good thing we don't all like the same thing. Kudos for completion of what must have been a massive undertaking.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Well...I clicked on the link provided by the first post and did my best to find an "ugly" truck. Never found one. However, I couldn't help but notice one very loveable, if somewhat cartoonish, "M" series artistic rendering!

If I were younger and had professionally developed my artist talent, this would make a terrific subject for a whole series of animated adventures for a character like "Stanly the Studebaker!" Heck, if Thomas the Train can gain such marketable traction, why not a loveable little truck? Just think how many adventures a creative writer could attach to such a friendly little face as it rumbled through the nations roads, towns, countryside, and communities of "childhood make believe!" Using the no longer made Studebaker name would free it from being "brand" offensive to current manufacturers, and it's adventure trails wouldn't be limited to a set of tracks.

If you take the time to occasionally watch the old shows that captured our imagination in our youth, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, The Cisco Kid, Hopalong Cassidy, Popeye, Tweety Bird, Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny, etc...whether these shows used real actors or animated characters...from our adult perspective they were all somewhat cartoon-like but always entertaining while offering a positive message to societal order & decorum. I was born into a large family where we watched the cartoon violence and goofiness with no thought of intentionally harming one another. A "safe space" was a well-constructed pen for our bunnies and baby chicks, and a "Snowflake" was something that fell from the sky in winter. I wonder if we will ever see a return to such innocent civility again... sigh...

So...to the owner of this truck...gather a talented team and get busy marketing. This could be the basis for a resurgence.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X