Mission creep, rewiring the truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission creep, rewiring the truck.

One of the jobs I knew I would have to do before getting my 52 pickup on the road was redoing the wiring. There had been a small fire that damaged a few wires and some of the modifications in other places were questionable. I thought I was ready to run the wires for the lights, but the more I thought about it, I realized I needed to get all the other wiring changed also. I am glad I pulled it all now because some of the original wires to the heater, wipers and accessory lights were bare in many places that could not be seen while in place. I now have lots more bits to refurbish or replace, but at least when I am done I won't have to worry about it.
    On a brighter note, after some boiling hot weather with oppressive humidity we got a rare break. The air was unusually cooler and drier today and is supposed to last for a couple more days. I hope t get a lot done.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

The very best solution: Buy a new wiring harness for your vehicle from Studebakers West or one of the other Studebaker parts dealers. That way, every wire will have the correct gauge, correct terminals, correct length, and correct position in relation to the other wires. It might cost a bit more than "do it yourself", but the quality and lack of aggravation will make it more than worthwhile.
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Those trucks aren't bad to re-wire, no standing on your head to work under the dash!

Comment

If you were to purchase a new wiring harness for a 1953 truck with 1 rear tail light, would it be "safe" to order a harness from a later model truck that was originally equipped with 2 tails...? Or... did some trucks come with 2 tail lamps...?

Comment

One of the frustrating things about some of this truck is the variety of fasteners used. One piece I removed yesterday had 4 different styles of screws holding it on. The turn signal switch only has the pair that hold the case together that match. In many places the screws going through panels were much too long. Also someone randomly drilled holes in the dash/firewall for wires just big enough for the wire and then crimped the connector on. I had to cut many wires to feed them through the panel. Fortunately most will not be reused, but I have lots of extra holes to deal with.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I thought the town cobbler was a trade that disappeared decades ago, but it sounds like he is still at work. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              If you were to purchase a new wiring harness for a 1953 truck with 1 rear tail light, would it be "safe" to order a harness from a later model truck that was originally equipped with 2 tails...? Or... did some trucks come with 2 tail lamps...?
              2R trucks could be ordered with two tail lamps, but the right lamp was powered by a short, separate wire that plugged into the end of the tail lamp wiring harness. Two tail amps didn't become standard until well into the 12v era.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X