Floyd Megee's Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Megee's Studebaker?

Has anybody heard of this dealer? I tried Googling it but only came up with the link below. That link is what I had stumbled across ealier and where the question arose from. It says Georgetown, but Georgetown where is a mystery. Lots of the other pics on this site mention seem to be from the Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey area. Further checking showed that there were races at Georgetown Speedway in Georgetown, Delaware. Possibly this is were Floyd Megee's Studebaker was located.

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

Thanks for any help.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

The dealership was in Delaware.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The dealership was in Delaware.

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Joe:

The dealership was Sussex Studebaker and it is now Megee Dodge. It is located in Georgetown ,DE. If you go to the dealership, in the back next to a service building is a very rusty and non-running '57 C-cab 3/4 ton that was used as a service truck by Floyd Megee when it was Sussex Studebaker. Coincidentally, my wife and I stopped by there on Saturday. The reason was I had seen the list of old dealerships in the DC zone that Leonard Shepherd has, and I had the bright idea that it would be neat for the Delmarva Chapter to do a spring tour of the locations of some of the old dealerships on the Delmarva Peninsula. So we tried to do a dry run to see if this was doable. We started at Megee Dodge, and it looked promising, but soon we were discouraged because most of the other dealership locations were either torn down or couldn't be readily found due to a vague address, such as "Route 50, Easton, MD." So we'll try something else--maybe come down to the Yorktown meet.

Anyway, Floyd Megee's son still has a couple of Studes but has not been persuaded to join SDC. Hope this helps...

Frank Philippi
        Ocean Pines, MD
        56 President Classic
        60 Lark Convertible
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

Joe:

The dealership was Sussex Studebaker and it is now Megee Dodge. It is located in Georgetown ,DE. If you go to the dealership, in the back next to a service building is a very rusty and non-running '57 C-cab 3/4 ton that was used as a service truck by Floyd Megee when it was Sussex Studebaker. Coincidentally, my wife and I stopped by there on Saturday. The reason was I had seen the list of old dealerships in the DC zone that Leonard Shepherd has, and I had the bright idea that it would be neat for the Delmarva Chapter to do a spring tour of the locations of some of the old dealerships on the Delmarva Peninsula. So we tried to do a dry run to see if this was doable. We started at Megee Dodge, and it looked promising, but soon we were discouraged because most of the other dealership locations were either torn down or couldn't be readily found due to a vague address, such as "Route 50, Easton, MD." So we'll try something else--maybe come down to the Yorktown meet.

Anyway, Floyd Megee's son still has a couple of Studes but has not been persuaded to join SDC. Hope this helps...

Frank Philippi
          Ocean Pines, MD
          56 President Classic
          60 Lark Convertible
          62 GT Hawk

Comment

Joe:

I should have added that Georgetown Speedway is still in operation. It is located on US 113 south of Georgetown. Regarding those Studebaker race cars, a couple of the guys in the chapter know something about them as they have lived in the area all their lives and I remember some discussion along those lines. (I've only been here since April '06.) We're having a chapter meeting on Sunday at my house and I'll be sure to ask what they know about those Studebaker race cars.

Frank Philippi

Comment

Joe:

I should have added that Georgetown Speedway is still in operation. It is located on US 113 south of Georgetown. Regarding those Studebaker race cars, a couple of the guys in the chapter know something about them as they have lived in the area all their lives and I remember some discussion along those lines. (I've only been here since April '06.) We're having a chapter meeting on Sunday at my house and I'll be sure to ask what they know about those Studebaker race cars.

Frank Philippi

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60ragtop

Joe:

Frank Philippi
                Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60ragtop

Joe:

Frank Philippi
                  Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                  X