Ted Harbit sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Harbit sighting

My wife and I are vacationing in Wisconsin this week and we drove from Florida to Wisconsin yesterday and today. While traveling along I39 about 30 miles south of Rockford Illinois around 3:30 this afternoon I noticed an old truck coming toward us in the southbound lanes. As it got closer i said to my wife "look, an old Stude truck is in the other lanes". Then I noticed it was a truck with a car on the back bed, and realized it was Ted and the Stude Tomato. i tried to wave but the windows were up, so we just hooted over the sighting. In a short time we saw that Byron Dragway was a couple exits up the road, so we figured out what Ted was doing in northern Illinois. Hope he had a good outing and enjoyed his efforts. You never know what you'll see when you're on the road. Bill

Doesn't that suck when you see or pass a Stude. but you are not driving yours?
    You want to wave or honk but it would not matter, you won't be recognized in a Brand X.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You should have turned around and if he was going to the strip you should have gone there also, every one should take the chance to see Ted race he is a first class act, keep in mind that he is not going to race forever and Studebaker people need to see him at his best ,( behind the wheel of the Tomato, and the plane brown wrapper.) Ted if you see this have some good runs and enjoy the racing.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        You should have turned around and if he was going to the strip you should have gone there also, every one should take the chance to see Ted race he is a first class act, keep in mind that he is not going to race forever and Studebaker people need to see him at his best ,( behind the wheel of the Tomato, and the plane brown wrapper.) Ted if you see this have some good runs and enjoy the racing.
        The way that I read the original post, Ted was driving in a direction away from the track. Also, you can not get quickly turned around on an Interstate.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bill's post stated the time at 3:30 PM so it's safe to say Ted was probably returning home with a trunk full of trophy's!
          Bill

Comment

Just got done going through over 100 emails and now looking at this forum.

Bob, you're WAY too kind but thanks anyway. Yes it was about 3:30 central time that we were headed home. We (the we is because Bob Palma was there and George Krem came and followed me home as we have some work to do on the Wrapper. We went to the Meltdown Drags at Bryon. Not a good time as only made three runs in two days (Friday and Saturday). They were supposed to limit the cars to 450 but that is still a LOT of cars.

They have stock, several gas classes, super stocks, dragsters, etc. The strip has 17 or 19 staging lanes, don't remember which for sure but think it's 19 and all lanes are filled. Takes forever to get a run. Probably could have made a couple more runs if wanted to set in line for about two hours to make a run.

Only other Stude powered car there was Gordy Buetsch with his '53 259 powered gasser. Our runs were against a '55 Ford Y Block (not sure what size but he did say he had later heads with bigger valves, etc.) and a four speed. Second race was with a Dodge Dart and think it had a slant 6. Last race was with a Corvette. Don't know what the last two had for an engine. We won all three.

The first one I shifted at 4000 rpm due to setting in the staging lanes so long everything was cold so don't like to beat on it much being cold. They only let us run the eighth as they had a LOT of rain and running the eighth more cars could get to run by taking less time than running the quarter. This is a real sore spot with me as ALL strips seem to be the same; they can waste more time when they could be running. For example they could have started at least TWO HOURS sooner than they do and stop the messing with other things such as one year they stopped running so they could show the girls that were performing or queen candidates or something.

Also there are times when no runs are being made but the track is clear, etc. but for some reason they seem to find other things to be doing.

First run was 9.29 @78 mph. Second run shifted at 5000 and time was 9.03@ 83.76 and the third run the Vette red lighted but still caught him in first gear, shifted at 6000 and turned 8.55 @ 83.91. Sure not much fun for traveling almost 300 mile each way but better than setting at home I guess. Next planned race is at Norwalk, Ohio for the NMCA race the last of August. Another long trip in the ol truck.

Both the truck and the Tomato got a LOT of favorable comments and most seemed be real happy about them being there. Thanks for the interests.

Comment

Ted's third run win!!!
              Attached Files
              Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Wow, maybe my perception is off, but it sure looked like you smoked the Corvette in only an 1/8th. Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                X