1951 Commander update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander update

Big shout out to all the guys that have been giving me assistance. The 51 is now drivable. She idles at a smooth 650rpm , timed, no smoke on start up or running. Only the occasional oil drip. No drip out of blowby tube. fuel pressure is good, upper fuel lines are insulated to hopefully prevent vapor lock, gas tank has been lined with KBS coating and does not leak. fuel gauge and sender now work. All gauges now work, including clock. Speedometer works, albeit a little jittery, will use graphite on it later. All fluids and grease have been replaced. Brakes upgraded to newer Studebaker brakes. Transmission works perfect, shifting up and down now, no shudder. Leaks a little but I will take that for now. All electrical works as it should. Steering box repacked in corn head grease and moves smoothly. Turn signals work. All in all very happy now with the progress. Need to finish the interior and buff out the outside(need a touch up on the roof) and she (Gracie) will make a solid driver.

Jim

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Very pleased to hear of your success!

Comment

Dillengence pay off. Keep up the good work. I am glad you have the Detroit Gear working and not afraid to tackle the technical issues.

Bob Miles
      Different by Design
      Different by Delight

Comment

Great to see the progress Jim. Good job!
        3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

As I recall you had major issues with both the Turn Signals and especially the Detroit Gear Automatic.

Glad you got 'er done, can you share what was wrong, and the fix that worked?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had two different turn signal units. They did not have the same internals. One is for a different model. One was correct and was donated to me but it had a bad arm and no outside case. Barry sold me a bad unit but it had a case and an arm and I spliced the two together to make one unit. Soldered the connections, painted it and it works fine now.

The DG200 was missing all the linkage hardware for the governor. Once I was able to get that and the speedo gear I was able to dial the adjustments in. It took over 10 tries to get it correct. Bringing car in, lifting it and adjusting it. The shift linkage was off and also needed to be adjusted. That also requires lifting car up and adjusting. I emptied the transmission and torque converter and refilled it according to the procedure on this site with Decron. This seems to be a good transmission. Downshifts on acceleration. Good engine braking. Transmission was leaking at the pan. I sealed that up but may need the seals for the extension case. It seems to be leaking a drop or two.
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I'm so impressed with the results, Jim. You're certainly an inspiration to me.
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

It's good to hear some success stories. Congratulations!
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Looking good. I need to get back to work on my 51
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Some pics of the different turn signal components. Last pic is of the final product

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Nice going, Jim!
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                      X