No announcement yet.

Where is the water temp sensor supposed to be located

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Where is the water temp sensor supposed to be located

The only gauge on my 56 Power Hawk that doesnt work is
    the water temperature gauge. The car has a 289 which
    I dont believe is stock. We looked all over the block and could
    not find the sending unit. If I can find one, where is the proper location
    for it on this engine? I will be happy to buy a sending unit from
    a Stude vendor.

It's on the rear of the left cylinder head.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      It's on the rear of the left cylinder head.
      It's small, between the head and firewall and difficult to see or get to.

Comment

That would be the original location, but if your's is a transplant, it may be anywhere that the installer found to put it that the wire would reach..
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08835.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1721455Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08836.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1721456Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for the picture. That helps a lot. I havent had time to check fir it yet.

Does the sensor just screw into that plate, or does the whole plate need to be removed, or
            Is the sensor part of the plate?

Comment

The sensor screws into the plate, but sometimes it is VERY difficult to remove. Usually, I just take the plate off with the sensor.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I seem to be having problems trying to find a sensor.
                Does anyone have a source or a suggestion?

Comment

Just got one from E-bay last week. Standard P/N TS527.('57-'64 Stude v-8) look up "stude temp sensor" The one I replaced was steel, the new one is brass. I got it replaced without removing the plate, but it hard to get broken loose. Do not use tape or sealer when installing! If I had to do it again, I would crack it loose with a box wrench, then use a racheting box wrench to remove,, no room for a socket! -Jim
                  Last edited by jrlemke; 07-25-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                    Just got one from E-bay last week. Standard P/N TS527.('57-'64 Stude v-8) look up "stude temp sensor" The one I replaced was steel, the new one is brass. I got it replaced without removing the plate, but it hard to get broken loose. Do not use tape or sealer when installing! If I had to do it again, I would crack it loose with a box wrench, then use a racheting box wrench to remove,, no room for a socket! -Jim
                    I believe that his 1956 calls for a different temperature sender than the late-1957-1964 one that you are referring to.

EDIT: Of course, if he not longer has a 1956 engine, that is another story, but it may still be using the 1956 sender to match with the gauge.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X