clutch pedal fell to floor 63 Waggonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: clutch pedal fell to floor 63 Waggonaire

depressed heard a pop and pedal fell to the floor. Linkage appears to be intact thinking maybe spring in pressure plate failed. Started to remove the drive shaft so could pull transmission and bell housing. Cant get the slip yoke to come out of the transmission and the x member frame is not helping either. Any suggestions on these 2 problems?

Jeff

I would double check the hardened pins connecting the sleeve

Comment

They are fine.

Comment

On a 63 isn't there a return spring under the dash? Is it still intact?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

This happened to me once on the Hawk. I had replaced (for mothing!) the clutch relay between the body and the gearbox and over greased the pivot points. Therefore, it was barely engaged on one side and popped out after a few motions. I'm not 100% sure that this can apply to a Lark too, as the clutch linkage is different but it's worth a try. If there is not a lot of play on the release shaft, I would not touch the gearbox and concentrate on the clutch linkage. Unless, your pressure plate has been converted to a diaphragm, a sudden failure of all the springs seems unlikely.
          Best of luck.
          sigpic

Comment

return spring is intact. Not sure how much tension it should have doesn't seem to have much but it is intact and whatever went happened suddenly

Comment

all the linkage going into the bell housing is intact and can see it actuate. What concerns me is i can make it actuate with one hand by grabbing linkage but doesn't seem to be working against anything inside the bell housing.

Comment

You can see the throw out bearing moving? Fork not broken or slipping on shaft?

Comment

cant get into the bell housing so see anything since I cant get the slip yoke out of the transmission. All I can see is the input shaft rotating and it feels like the fork is moving against the bearing. It moves as a thunk between engaged and disengaged but with very little resistance and no pushback at all.

Comment

It just came to my mind that, if the vent hole of your gearbox is plugged, this might stop any air entry, therefore blocking the yoke. I would remove the speedo cable and gear and see if anything changes.
                    sigpic

Comment

ill try that.

Comment

Sounds like your throw out bearing lever is stripped. That is a fairly common failure on these cars. Especially after many decades of running. This is the lever which is pressed onto the sleeve which fits over the shaft attached to the throw out bearing. The sleeve is splined and the lever press fit. It's not the best arrangement, but its all we've got.
                        The reason I'm thinking this is due to the statement: "depressed heard a pop and pedal fell to the floor"
                        If the pedal hits the floor, then you're not getting any tension on the pressure plate at all. If all the linkage was in working order and the return spring broke, the system would still work. The pedal would simply not return all the way to the top.
                        The pedal hitting the floor tells me that you've had a catastrophic failure somewhere in the linkage. And if all the linkage appears to be "working" as it should, then it leaves me to believe that this is the likely culprit.
                        If it is... at least its an easy fix. Replace the lever and you're back in business.
                        Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
                        Remember to go from the easiest fix first. Don't pull the transmission till you're absolutely sure its not linkage related.
                        sals54

Comment

Sals that sounds exactly like what is going on. The linkage all the way to the bell housing is good and the lever is turning but there is no resistance from the inside of the bell housing. I'm going to work on it tomorrow, my next problem is cant get the slip yoke out. Christophe suggested removing speedo cable to vent the transmission haven't tried that yet. Any other ideas? The x frame member makes it very hard to get pressure on it.

Comment

Are the wheels still on the ground?
                            The natural way to disconnect the propeller shaft is to lift the body of the car at the rear, then unhook the universal joint. When the rear axle goes down, the propeller shaft goes backwards. Let the weight of the car do the job for you.
                            sigpic

Comment

I really doubt it is suction holding the yoke in the transmission. Maybe congealed oil on the spline? Or is a collapsed engine or tranny mount allowing the U-joint to hang up in the X-member?
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X