Shipping quandry! any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping quandry! any ideas?

So if I have a used gas tank,and it needs to go out West,like to a Colorado,what would be the ideal way to accomplish this without a carrier freaking out because it is an old gas tank?
    I am envisioning terroristic regulations,or hazzardous waste worries.The tank smells like old varnish,that lovely smell.I am worried if it got cleaned out here,it would be full of surface rust when it got there,instead of old gas crud.So anyopne have experience with this ? TIA -Rich.

Thoroughly clean the exterior of the tank. Stuff a rag into the filler tube and completely seal it with duct tape. Make sure all openings are completely taped off and sealed as well. Then get some black rattle-can paint and paint it. When it's dry enough to package, it'll just smell like fresh paint. The paint over the duct tape will just work at sealing the tank even more. All the shipper will smell is fresh paint. No gas smell, no problem.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thoroughly clean the exterior of the tank. Stuff a rag into the filler tube and completely seal it with duct tape. Make sure all openings are completely taped off and sealed as well. Then get some black rattle-can paint and paint it. When it's dry enough to package, it'll just smell like fresh paint. The paint over the duct tape will just work at sealing the tank even more. All the shipper will smell is fresh paint. No gas smell, no problem.

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

YIKES, Ron- I doubt that would work! Probably the only way to make it happen is to have it boiled out. If it was me, I'd sell the buyer on having the tank sealed, and have it boiled out and sealed here. Then it's just a hunk of metal.

That said, I wonder how folks get their tanks to places like Tank Renu that are far from then? There must be a way...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

YIKES, Ron- I doubt that would work! Probably the only way to make it happen is to have it boiled out. If it was me, I'd sell the buyer on having the tank sealed, and have it boiled out and sealed here. Then it's just a hunk of metal.

That said, I wonder how folks get their tanks to places like Tank Renu that are far from then? There must be a way...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
          X