Free-wheels, but no overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Free-wheels, but no overdrive

I have looked at the archives here, and haven't found my problem. I have two cars with three-on-the tree and overdrive: a 1951 Champion and a 1956 Power Hawk.When I've reached sufficient speed and let up on the accelerator, both just free-wheel. When accelerated, they go back into the standard high gear. I haven't had the '51 very long, but I've owned the Hawk a couple of years. At first the Hawk went into overdrive normally, then it would go into overdrive for four or five times, Now, it just goes into free-wheeling and back to the standard 3rd gear when accelerated. Does anybody have suggestions. I'm not much of a mechanic so I beg your patience.

Check that your electrical connections are correct and clean. Also check and clean the governor; if it isn't working (gummed up or whatever) the circuit gets no ground connection and won't work. If all that is clean and working check the solenoid, could be one of the sets of points in it is not making contact, or it has a bad relay or main coil.

Comment

As Rick stated, electrical connections being clean is where I would start. My 55 had a junction box mounted on the firewall with four wires and a buzz fuse. The fuse would look good and not broken. The two clips that held the fuse has a very small layer of dust/dirt. I would take my pocket knife, gently scrape the clips, place the fuse back and then the overdrive would engage. It would work for several months then stop and I would repeat the cleaning of the contact clips and it would work fine.

Try it and see if that is what may be the cause.

Bob Miles
      Different by Design
      Different by Delight

Comment

Don't overlook the kick down switch. It is exposed to a lot of crud and It is in series with the governor.

Comment

I surely appreciate the responses to my question. I will try them this week-end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
            I have looked at the archives here, and haven't found my problem. I have two cars with three-on-the tree and overdrive: a 1951 Champion and a 1956 Power Hawk.When I've reached sufficient speed and let up on the accelerator, both just free-wheel. When accelerated, they go back into the standard high gear. I haven't had the '51 very long, but I've owned the Hawk a couple of years. At first the Hawk went into overdrive normally, then it would go into overdrive for four or five times, Now, it just goes into free-wheeling and back to the standard 3rd gear when accelerated. Does anybody have suggestions. I'm not much of a mechanic so I beg your patience.
            Make sure the cable is pushing the OD lever all the way to the rear.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

My OD needs to be engaged a few times a week. If I don't drive the truck for a few weeks (now-due to paint), OD + kickdown require a few attempts... then all is OK again... drive em

Comment

Working...
              X