This one should be saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one should be saved

I can't tell if this was mentioned before or not, but a friend sent me an email about a '64 Daytona Wagonaire in western Colorado on Craigs List. It is for sale for parts, but other than no engine or transmission plus a crunched tailgate and left rear quarter, it looks surprisingly decent- well optioned including a roof rack, what looks like a very good dash and seats, some surface rust, but apparently little or no body rust.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Makes you wonder why it is SO common for people to miss the DAY in Daytona! It is not like it is an uncommon Name.

That Wagonaire DOES have quite a few good Parts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Makes you wonder why it is SO common for people to miss the DAY in Daytona! It is not like it is an uncommon Name.

I hate to be the one to tell you this Rich, but you're wrong. From the 1966 "Dealer Advertising Planner and Mat Book".

On another page, it shows the "CRIUSER" model.

Comment

That just proves my point, a LOT of people have trouble spelling Daytona, even advertising people whose JOB it is to do good, correct, proofread Text! Unforgivable I say!

Daytona, Beach, FL and the Daytona 500 have been around for a LONG time and it is not an uncommon word.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Why is name capitalized? Why is parts capitalized?
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

That just proves my point, a LOT of people have trouble spelling Daytona, even advertising people whose JOB it is to do good, correct, proofread Text!
            Huh? Why is text capitalized?
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              I hate to be the one to tell you this Rich, but you're wrong. From the 1966 "Dealer Advertising Planner and Mat Book".

On another page, it shows the "CRIUSER" model.
              We did mention some 'factory literature errors' here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-are-you-aware but not that one.

And we mentioned the familiar 1964 Owner's Guide error here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ar-Reflections

Craig

Comment

That crunched corner scares me.
                1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I purchased NOS rear quarters for my Wagonaire, but I imagine that they would be hard to come by now.
                  That Wagonaire would take more to have it fixed than it would be worth. If you did it yourself, with used parts, you may be okay.
                  With the name thing, I do believe that it is unexcusable when the name can be read right off the car or the pictures.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I totally agree, it needs to be saved. That rear quarter could be straightened and a used tail gate installed. The thought of not battling rust trumps anything bad about it. However, it still needs lots of money poured into it.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                      I totally agree, it needs to be saved. That rear quarter could be straightened and a used tail gate installed. The thought of not battling rust trumps anything bad about it. However, it still needs lots of money poured into it.
                      I agree, and the thought of lots of money still being needed trumps the thought of loosing a sliding roof wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                        Huh? Why is text capitalized?
                        Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                        Why is name capitalized? Why is parts capitalized?

"Exactly Gene, if YOU post it to the World Wide Web WITHOUT proof reading it, it is YOUR reputation on the line, no one else's."

Isn't there some expression about stones and glass houses?
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

If anyone is bold enough to take this project on and needs a motor, this fall I will be pulling the non-correct 224 CID truck motor which somehow got installed in my '57 Clipper Wagon. It runs really well, will be cheap and shipping will be from western Arizona, where the car is located. It always amazes me what combinations we find in our cars without a historical trail as to how things happened. I agree with Nels as this is by far is a more preferable repair over rust. I'm sure John at Naugles would have a tailgate source. Good luck to the next owner and keep us posted.
                          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Tail gates are like hens teeth to find and when you do they all have rust out at the bottom, and the repair on the fender and post would be a ton of work and by someone I could not afford, engine and transmission would be the easy part. by the way since I see Dick Steinkamp and Paul Johnson here on the post I want to mention that this Sat. our Chapter the Sequoia chapter will be holding out 50th birthday party get together in Castro Valley where it all began back in 1968, Fred Fox and his wife Linda the number one member and chapter treasurer will be there Fred has been the only treasure the chapter has ever had, also have over 70 member signed up come about 10 from the original group. I will try and some how get some pictures posted....Bob
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

If it is really to expensive to save it as a wagon, it could be made in to a ranchero/ elcamino, type vehicle. That would be wasting the sliding roof, but would be better than it going to china for scrap.
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X