Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Need radiator for 1966 Cruiser

Hi all,
    I just learned some very bad news about the radiator in my 1966 Cruiser (V8 with water cooled automatic). There is so much corrosion at the top of the unit that even a repair of the immediate problem makes it basically a waste of money.
    I also learned the unit in my car now isn't original. It's a vintage replacement, but not original.

So...Does anyone have a good, tested original radiator to sell? It's not critical it have the transmission outlets, as I have an auxiliary cooler for the transmission that isn't in the same water circuit. I'm in central Minnesota. I'm willing to pick up if it's within a couple hundred miles.

If anyone knows of swaps or other known good options, please let me know. My radiator man has done many Studebakers, but he admits he might not be aware of some swaps that could work.

Thanks!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

A new aluminum radiator would be a good choice. Use one made for a Jeep with a small block Chevy conversion. There are several posts on the subject that you might search for. These are basically "bolt ins" for a Studebaker. With eBay free shipping to your door, paying a little more for a new radiator vs getting an unknown used one and driving several hundred miles makes sense to me.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Note the side flange has two holes where Studebaker used three - You would just need to add the holes in the proper place to mount in in your '66. Good luck.

Comment

Agree with the aluminum radiator. What is the best way to prep the top tank so it will hold paint so it's not so obvious (compared to the original)?
        Mike Sal

Comment

Will this also work on earlier Lark types?

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          A new aluminum radiator would be a good choice. Use one made for a Jeep with a small block Chevy conversion. There are several posts on the subject that you might search for. These are basically "bolt ins" for a Studebaker. With eBay free shipping to your door, paying a little more for a new radiator vs getting an unknown used one and driving several hundred miles makes sense to me.
          This looks like it would also work with a 1964 Lark type with a Studebaker V8 without modification based on the upper and lower radiator hose connection locations -- is that correct or not?
          Bill Jackameit
          1964 Challenger Wagonaire
          1964 Daytona Sedan
          Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
          Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
          https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I think it's a drop in for just about any stude....

Comment

Free shipping is a good deal, too.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I would check with a good automotive paint shop, but probably a good cleaning, either an etching or epoxy primer and a top coat. Might want to top coat it with a heat resistant paint, but radiators shouldn't get that hot. There is probably a radiator black available too if you're not looking for show quality.
                Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                Agree with the aluminum radiator. What is the best way to prep the top tank so it will hold paint so it's not so obvious (compared to the original)?
                Mike Sal
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I used a light coat of SEM self etch primer followed by several light coats of Eastwood radiator black paint. You want to keep your coating thin because if it gets too thick it could crack from the heat. I painted the tank and frame to get good even coverage. On the fins, I sprayed just enough to make it black. You don't want excessive build up on the fins because it could affect heat transfer. No special prep required, I just cleaned it good with acetone before applying primer.
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

This fellow (very knowledgable) quoted me about $1000 for a custom built aluminum radiator! Ouch. That's just too much. That's just one option, though. But THIS sounds like a great deal if it'll work.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I agree! The only downside is it isn't stock looking. But all things considered, modern in this case is better.

Comment

Only a purist would notice it if it were painted black.
                        Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        I agree! The only downside is it isn't stock looking. But all things considered, modern in this case is better.
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Scott, one thing that hasn't been mentioned...since your car had a water cooling for the transmission, you may have to add a small trans cooler if the new radiator doesn't include one (I'm at work & can't see the ad).
                          Mike Sal

Comment

I have one in my 61 Hawk, CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a custom and as has been said almost a drop in. I got the three row and it has never overheated and I have air conditioning. It is about 1 1/2 inches shorter. I did not paint mine and it looks fine. Mine made by Victor. You will not regret it. BTW, they do have the built in transmission cooler and it is much cleaner looking, especially if you add air conditioning. Good luck.
                            Don Watson
                            61 Hawk

Comment

Yes, I saw that this unit has the separate cooler for the transmission. I have the separate cooler now, just because the guy that rebuilt and installed the transmission said it was a good idea. I can keep that arrangement or if I get this Jeep unit I can go back to the original way of hooking things up. My car originally had AC (I found a stock under the dash unit) and I might someday set it all up again. It still has the special pulley on the engine with a little chunk broken off. Maybe that's why the AC was taken off several decades ago.
                              Originally posted by whitehawk759 View Post
                              I have one in my 61 Hawk, CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a custom and as has been said almost a drop in. I got the three row and it has never overheated and I have air conditioning. It is about 1 1/2 inches shorter. I did not paint mine and it looks fine. Mine made by Victor. You will not regret it. BTW, they do have the built in transmission cooler and it is much cleaner looking, especially if you add air conditioning. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X