Pat Dilling - Custom '53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Dilling - Custom '53 Coupe

Our '53 Starlight has been extensively modified, but still retains the classic lines. It has a "Gentleman's Chop", 1 3/4 inches at the A pillar and just a sawblade cut at the C Pillar. It still uses the stock rear window and the windshield is laid back with about 1/8 inch shaved off. Drip rails are shaved as are the door handles. Headlights and tail lights are Frenched. The rear fenders have been welded and the seams filled. It is powered by a 2000 Pontiac TransAm LS1 (350 hp) with a 4L60E overdrive automatic transmission. It has modern touches including power disk brakes and steering, A/C, cruise control, power windows and AM/FM/CD. The interior is all custom with Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats. It is very dependable and will get 25-26 mpg on the highway. We drive it about 3000 miles a year. We love the looks and thumbs up we get while on the road, and the chance to talk Studebakers with the folks we meet.

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

That's nice.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Schweet!

Chris Pile
      StudeFolk Manager
      Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

[8D]

Comment

WOW! I saw your car close-up at the Towe Ford Museum, Sacramento, Ca. 6/22/08! It's now my desk-top pic. Just too nice... You've created a classic!

Thanks

Comment

Found this photo show site in another post. What a great way to show off a car!

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Did you get the traction bars in it?
              Klif

55 Speedster
              63 Avanti R2
              63 Lark R2
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

No, not yet. I have access to some slapper bars that I may put on if I go back to the track. Other than that, for the moment I decided to leave it as it is.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Your Car Looks Great. Did you do the chop yourself. And what front and rear are you using. Tire, wheel & backspace?
                  I am just starting the custom mods on my 56 Stude Power Hawk.

Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks Woody, The chop was done when I got the car, but I have talked to the original builder several times. He followed an article written by the renowned customizer Dick Dean on "How to Chop a Studebaker." I am not sure what magazine it was published in, but have heard other speak of it as well. It is referred to as a Gentleman's Chop. In my case 1.75 inches were removed from the A pillar, about 3/4 of an inch from the B and just a saw blade's width from the C- pillar. This enables the stock rear window to be used and essentially tilt's the roof down towards the front. The windshield is then laid back further to take up the needed roof space. The front suspension is a 68 Nova clip that has been narrowed 3 inches. If I were to do it again, I believe I would consider the Tubular A-Arms, disk brakes and rack and pinion offered by Slick Street Stuff out of Knoxville, TN. It bolts right in without welding and retains all the Studebaker geopmetry. The rear end is an 8 inch Ford from a 76 Maverick. It is just 56" wide from drum to drum. Wheels are 14x6 and 15x7 with a standard offset. Tires are 195/75-14 and 235/70-15. Fronts are Coker Classics and the rears are Yokohamas from Diamondback Tires. Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

still looking great, Pat. I hope you are still driving it everywhere.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, "When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done."

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Slapper bars 'before you go back to the track'...what times were you running when you were at the track? Love the car, looks like an awesome job. What exactly is that killer color, is an orange or red?
                        Stock Nova steering, or rack and pinion? Like the contrasting script on the grill bars, cool idea. Betcha that drivetrain smooth as silk.
                        Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I like your car. Very nice.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                          X