Studes popular in 1950's Sci-Fi movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes popular in 1950's Sci-Fi movies

Watched 1957 version of "Not of this Earth" the other night on YouTube. Star alien, the late Paul Birch, drove a 56-57 Caddy. However, in one scene he almost got smashed at an intersection by a '53-54 light colored 2 dr HT Stude that cut in front of him. Then later he parked his black Caddy in a lot right beside a dark colored '53 or 54 Stude. I'm sure none of this car stuff was planned since there were different car companies represented in the film. Obviously there were more Studes around back then than I expected.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I only remember one Stude in a movie, "Inventing the Abbotts".
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

There's a thread about Studebakers in the movies... just sayin'...

Comment

I'm sure these are in the Studes in the Movies thread, but there are prominent Studes in 50's Sci Fi movies "Killers from Space," "Beginning of the End" and "It Conquered the World."
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Saw an episode of 'The Librarians' recently in which the bad guys created a blah and colorless future world; all of the cars in it were Studebaker Larks!

Comment

Yeah. And a lot of people, especially newbies, ain't researching 50's Sci-Fi flicks on here.

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            There's a thread about Studebakers in the movies... just sayin'...
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

Indeed. I think "It Conquered the World" featured his and her Stude Presidents. Seems like Lee Van Cleef drive a 2 dr and wife Beverly Garland drove a station wagon...

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
              I'm sure these are in the Studes in the Movies thread, but there are prominent Studes in 50's Sci Fi movies "Killers from Space," "Beginning of the End" and "It Conquered the World."
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                Star alien, the late Paul Birch, drove a 56-57 Caddy.
                I have wondered if that movie helped start the Men in Black mythology?
                1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Good one! Birch sure wore dark suit, hat and sunglasses in that flick.

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                  I have wondered if that movie helped start the Men in Black mythology?
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

There's a Hawk (actually a '53-'55 coupe) that briefly appears in "Eegah" at the 121 minute mark, a grade D sci-fi featuring an early leading role in the career of Richard Kiel, before "Happy Gilmore", "Pale Rider" and James Bond. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UezeNjFkbSY
                    Last edited by rockne10; 07-10-2018, 06:19 PM.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. I've seen Eegah, but I missed the Hawk. I'll have to check it out again. I actually met the late Richard Kiel at a show around 2005. Biggest pair of tennis shoes I ever saw!

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      There's a Hawk that briefly appears in "Eegah", a grade D sci-fi featuring an early leading role in the career of Richard Kiel, before "Happy Gilmore", "Pale Rider" and James Bond. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UezeNjFkbSY
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

My nephew met him as well at one of the sci-fi conventions.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X