Original is hard to find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original is hard to find.

I just disassembled a core 289 I bought a short time ago. It is really frustrating when hard to find parts are ruined by less than skilled mechanics. This engine was rebuilt and performed poorly. It was replaced by a used 259 and the car sold. The person who ground the crank -.010 kissed the journal cheeks with the side of the wheel. Rod side clearance was .060 and greater. Add in the fact that the second compression ring was installed upside down, it is no wonder this engine ran poorly. The crank is ruined. It is getting harder to find any component that has not been butchered by someone. Just venting a little.

Jim
    james r pepper

Good machine shops are getting harder to find
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Sorry you got a bad core. Happens in this business. At least there was a 289" crank in there. I was sold one 289" with a 259" crank inside.

And yes, we have to remember original isn't all it should have been. We build many obsolete engines, but Studebaker V8s are the absolute worst at the coolant passages still being full of sixty-year-old core sand. The Studebaker foundry just didn't have a good system of shaking the blocks to get the core sand out.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Yes Jack, it had a 289 crank but all it is good for is maybe building a stroker. The rod journals will have to be welded to build the faces back up then reground. As is it is unusable. If you want to stroke a Stude V8 you have to weld the crank anyhow.
        james r pepper

Comment

I can remember as a young guy taking a tour of the International Harvester engine plant in Indianapolis. One of the things that made a big impression was this huge metal box type structure into which the blocks were dumped while still glowing red. It was a giant shaker machine which tumbled the blocks to get the sand out of them. It shook them around like they were children's wooden blocks. I remember thinking there was no way a block could come out without being broken or twisted.
          Mike Sal

Comment

Given the age, who would be surprised... really?

Comment

Working...
            X