PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: torquing wheel lug nuts on disc brakes

Floyd J
07-02-2018, 08:22 PM
I read a recent article/post that wheel lugs should be hand torqued to avoid distorting the disc brake rotors on Avanti/Studebakers, any comments?.

TWChamp
07-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Yes, I agree. Seems it often doesn't take much to distort disc rotors. I snug all 5 lug nuts, then use the star pattern to hand tighten them, and I've never had a problem. I also always grease the threads and taper on all my wheel nuts.

jackb
07-03-2018, 09:27 AM
my guess is newer vehicles have less "meat" on them for the obvious reasons. I had a 3/4 ton GM that after rotating tires vibrated at my 1st exit ramp. There is a GM notice advising what the dealer can & should do for correct torqueing of lug nuts AND replacing of rotors if warped from the gun.... I follow #2 post above, except no lubing of nuts..... seems this practice relates to one's earliest mentor....I'm currently looking for my left hand threaded die to true up the rear left lugs on my truck...... does anyone know where it is ??? :)

rbigcal
07-03-2018, 03:25 PM
my guess is newer vehicles have less "meat" on them for the obvious reasons. I had a 3/4 ton GM that after rotating tires vibrated at my 1st exit ramp. There is a GM notice advising what the dealer can & should do for correct torqueing of lug nuts AND replacing of rotors if warped from the gun.... I follow #2 post above, except no lubing of nuts..... seems this practice relates to one's earliest mentor....I'm currently looking for my left hand threaded die to true up the rear left lugs on my truck...... does anyone know where it is ??? :)

I bet it will be in the last place you look ! :D

Xcalibur
07-03-2018, 08:12 PM
I torque mine with a lead hammer. :lol:

jimmijim8
07-07-2018, 06:42 AM
my guess is newer vehicles have less "meat" on them for the obvious reasons. I had a 3/4 ton GM that after rotating tires vibrated at my 1st exit ramp. There is a GM notice advising what the dealer can & should do for correct torqueing of lug nuts AND replacing of rotors if warped from the gun.... I follow #2 post above, except no lubing of nuts..... seems this practice relates to one's earliest mentor....I'm currently looking for my { left hand threaded die to true up the rear left lugs } on my truck...... does anyone know where it is ??? :) Two different procedure tools for 2 different jobs. you need a thread chaser to correct the threads. A die will only remove meat from the threads. A thread die will not correct their alignment. Use a thread chaser Cheers jimmijim

Mike Van Veghten
07-07-2018, 10:08 AM
jackb wrote -
my guess is newer vehicles have less "meat" on them for the obvious reasons.

WHY...would newer vehicles have "less meat"...on them. And what exactly does that mean, and WHY would it be...obvious ?
Seems you should do a little homework on threads, lug studs.

I "always" use a torque wrench on securing my wheels. Makes no difference the brand, the brake type, or the use.
I also normally use a corrosion inhibitor (like WD-40) for a small bit of rust protection.

Mike