PDA

View Full Version : Body: 54 C/K coupe details on bolts and clips

poweroptions
07-02-2018, 03:53 PM
I have reset the whole front end after the body shop did a lousy job. They had thrown away all of the shims and spacers not using a single shim. The fit was pathetic on the front fenders and hood. They threw away nearly all of the original bolts, nuts and speed clips. I'm obsessed with the details. However, I am thinking of going back with stainless steel bolts and nuts and painting them my Safford Cream. Should I go this route or go back to trying to find what Studebaker used when the car was assembled? Thanks again !

clarkwd
07-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I have reset the whole front end after the body shop did a lousy job. They had thrown away all of the shims and spacers not using a single shim. The fit was pathetic on the front fenders and hood. They threw away nearly all of the original bolts, nuts and speed clips. I'm obsessed with the details. However, I am thinking of going back with stainless steel bolts and nuts and painting them my Safford Cream. Should I go this route or go back to trying to find what Studebaker used when the car was assembled? Thanks again !

I used hardware store bolts when I put the nose on my Speedster and my yellow car and noone ever thought less of me because of it. The bolts that came with the car were too narly to use anyway. Since the dog house was installed after the frame and fenders were painted, these bolts were probably just zinc plated from the factory anyway. If you have not already been there, go to this very fine page and get some tips on making things all line up.
http://raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/BodyAlign.htm
Bill

poweroptions
07-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Thank you Clark. I have been on hold. I've had local guys tell me to use black phosphate (sp?) but when I reference that on line they said they would rust. The paint shop of mine tossed everything off the front clip. Then they put 20 yr old flunkies on it when reattaching the front clip. Car came back with a hodge podge of bolts and 1 " gaps on body panels. I'm studying Raylin now. Thanks for the info.

I used hardware store bolts when I put the nose on my Speedster and my yellow car and noone ever thought less of me because of it. The bolts that came with the car were too narly to use anyway. Since the dog house was installed after the frame and fenders were painted, these bolts were probably just zinc plated from the factory anyway. If you have not already been there, go to this very fine page and get some tips on making things all line up.
http://raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/BodyAlign.htm
Bill

ralt12
07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Stainless with lock washers/nylocs.

poweroptions
07-04-2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. That is what I will use.

Stainless with lock washers/nylocs.