PDA

View Full Version : Wheels U S A Made Wheel Bearings

Paul Keller
07-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Ordered front wheel bearings from a (Non-Stude) supplier for a '63 Hawk (same bearings 1959-'66) and they were marked "U S A" rather than "China" or some unknown number system.

The bearings are Timken,
Set 2 (outer/small) and Set 6 (inner/large)

Do not know if which Stude suppliers provide U S made bearings and after one "mystery" set self destructed it seemed worth while to spend a couple dollars more for a hopefully more dependable set.

PaulTK

jnormanh
07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Ordered front wheel bearings from a (Non-Stude) supplier for a '63 Hawk (same bearings 1959-'66) and they were marked "U S A" rather than "China" or some unknown number system.

The bearings are Timken,
Set 2 (outer/small) and Set 6 (inner/large)

Do not know if which Stude suppliers provide U S made bearings and after one "mystery" set self destructed it seemed worth while to spend a couple dollars more for a hopefully more dependable set.

PaulTK

Timken has a long reputation for top quality. Made in ????, who knows?

DEEPNHOCK
07-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Timken is the only, or one of the only, bearing tube steel manufacturers in North America.
Many other manufacturers use Timken steel in their bearings.
Many foriegn owned bearing manufacturers have plants here in the USA.

Do your homework very carefully when choosing bearing brands.
Geography should not be, or be the only, criteria. Some of the best bearings made are offshore. Some are made in USA.
Timken just bought ABC bearings (India)...and also sold Koyo their needle bearing division (now Ohio based).
Timken has bought and sold over 15 bearing companies in the last few years.
So tossing brand names out there is not a good indicator.

If you really want to dig deep and search for facts over marketing hype.. Start here.

https://www.americanbearings.org/page/memberlisting?

jerezstude
07-02-2018, 07:55 PM
I believe SKF bearings are still made in the USA. Not sure if they make all sizes, as I ground bearing races for them many years ago. They still have a plant in Hanover, Pa.
Jerry Kurtz

52 Ragtop
07-02-2018, 08:36 PM
I got hooked up with a supplier ayear or so ago, as I use the A-2 and A-6 bearings in my kits. I now supply the Timkens in my kits.

Jim

StudeRich
07-03-2018, 02:20 AM
I only sell Timken Bearings, for both '47 to '55 and '56 to '66 Studes. in Stock. :)

DEEPNHOCK
07-03-2018, 09:04 AM
SKF is the world's largest bearing mfr. World HQ is in Gothenburg, Sweden with N. American HQ in Lansdale, PA.
The SKF Sealing Div (The old Chicago Rawhide) has their HQ in Elgin, IL.
Most of my retirement funding came from these guys...

Some SKF history: http://www.skf.com/us/our-company/organization/skf-history/index.html

Some Timken History: https://www.timken.com/about/our-story/

I believe SKF bearings are still made in the USA. Not sure if they make all sizes, as I ground bearing races for them many years ago. They still have a plant in Hanover, Pa.
Jerry Kurtz

wittsend
07-03-2018, 01:22 PM
So it seems it is a real bear to get the bearings (direction/location) of where the wheel bearings originate from. I guess if we can bare the time to search we might find out. I doubt they come from Bering, Alaska. It is important to find where your bearing bare from because bad bearings would be unbearable. :)