Is this a stock bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a stock bed?

I was looking at the pictures of this Studebaker pickup on eBay and something looked out of proportion. Is this just a long wheelbase bed or has it been modified? To my eye the rear fender looks closer to the cab than usual, but I am not an expert.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Imho, the fender-to-cab distance looks fine, but the end of the bed is what strikes me as long. A nine-foot bed, perhaps?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The only long wheelbase pictures I came up with looked like the rear and front were about the same. However, there are not many pictures with good side views.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Maybe the Bed is stock length,and other mods were made may be a different Frame and such ?
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It sure looks great, in that picture!
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The bed has been modified - end stake holes should be all the way in the corners - the front ones look to be 1 foot (or so) back from the front of the bed.

Comment

Which begs the question of why have stake pockets in a custom show truck which will never haul a pig to market?

And all that custom paint, but underneath is supposedly a flathead six and a 5-speed?

jack vines
              Last edited by PackardV8; 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM.
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Which begs the question of why have stake pockets in a custom show truck which will never haul a pig to market?

And all that custom paint, but underneath is supposedly a flathead six and a 5-speed?

jack vines
                The interior shot is not great, but the shifter appears to be an S-10 type.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  The bed has been modified - end stake holes should be all the way in the corners - the front ones look to be 1 foot (or so) back from the front of the bed.
                  That may be true but, the front portion is already WAY too short so IF 10 or 12 Inches forward of the stake pockets was added it is STILL too short, so I don't know WHAT is going on with it, maybe the wheelbase is modified causing the FENDER to be moved, or it's a stretched 6 1/2 Ft. Bed but it just looks WRONG!

Of course it is a VERY pretty Truck though, the Silver & Gray Paint and simulated Deluxe Two-Tone paint-line gets an A+.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Once again, I'm no expert, but it looks to me that this is a modified long bed installed on a short bed chassis. I say this because you can clearly see a stake pocket in the middle of the bed side, which short beds do not have. Bed length is really out of proportion in my opinion.
                    JS
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
                      Just my two cents worth, but I tend to veer toward the unusual anyway (hey, I like Studebakers, for crying out loud!), so I think the flathead would be cool.
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                      X