1955 E13 Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1955 E13 Headlights

High Beams work but Low Beams don't. Replaced Dimmer Switch and have same problem. Is it possible both headlight low-beam filaments are out? I have a replacement light switch, replace that next?

SB-Danny
    Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

It certainly is possible, but could be the switch, too. Have you got a cheap multimeter or test light? Check for voltage at the connections on the inside left side of the radiator mount. Should be 6v on one post on low beam, 6v on a different post on high beam. If there's power on both posts, it's the bulbs or their connections; if not, it's the upstream connections.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 07-05-2018, 12:22 PM. Reason: Added info
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Rather than troubleshooting by changing parts, you should use a test light, or volt meter, and check for voltage at your light switch, dimmer and each bulb. If you have high beams, I'm guessing the switch is fine, as it sends power to the dimmer switch. It could be two bad bulbs, or a broken wire between the dimmer switch, and the front of the vehicle. It should be fairly simple to check for voltage at the headlight sockets. Good luck!
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        Rather than troubleshooting by changing parts, you should use a test light, or volt meter, and check for voltage at your light switch, dimmer and each bulb. If you have high beams, I'm guessing the switch is fine, as it sends power to the dimmer switch. It could be two bad bulbs, or a broken wire between the dimmer switch, and the front of the vehicle. It should be fairly simple to check for voltage at the headlight sockets. Good luck!
        I agree, and Harbor Freight has a good test light for only a few bucks, and you can buy a good basic 0-15 DC analog volt meter on ebay for only a few bucks delivered.

Comment

Troubleshooting by making electrical checks is always better than throwing parts at it. Figure out what is wrong before changing parts.

If you have high beams but no low beams, the problem is NOT in the headlight switch. It is in the wiring/socket/dimmer/bulbs
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Chase grounds.

Comment

When I got my '55 president state sedan the headlights didn't work....after some frustration I discovered I had 2 problems.....dimmer switch was bad preventing low beams from working...AND...both hi beam filaments were bad in the bulbs....
              Mike Sal

Comment

Thanks everyone. Will troubleshoot
                Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

Working...
                X