PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Avanti seats

jif988
06-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have experience moving Avanti front seats rearward? With the driver's seat all the way back in my 64 I still feel cramped...I wonder how 6'4" Sherwood Egbert ever felt comfortable driving his Avanti. I'm only 6'1" and would love to have two or three inches more legroom. Any suggestions would be most appreciated..thanks..Lance

sweetolbob
06-28-2018, 11:16 AM
This is the bottom side of a 74 seat that mounts like yours does. You can see the mounting setup. You would need to move the front mounts forward enough to get the space you need, not bad if you can weld. The rear mounts present a bit more of a challenge but you could bolt a piece of plate steel to the floor with the existing rear mounting holes with a couple of studs positioned the same distance back that you moved the front as one suggestion.

I built a complete new mounting frame when I changed the seats to 2006 Pontiac G6 fronts. I also used the seat belt mounting holes in the frame for the rear mounts as the OEM Studebaker mounts didn't give me a lot of confidence in their ability to hold the seat in place in a frontal collision. If you're belted in it would be lot better than nothing however.

73488 73489 73490

BTW, come join use over on the AOAI forum if you haven't already. Not as many as here and a fair bit of duplication but a lot of Avanti only info.

Bob

PackardV8
06-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have experience moving Avanti front seats rearward? With the driver's seat all the way back in my 64 I still feel cramped...Yes, and it totally changes the feel of the car. Getting one's inner ear and H-point a few inches back and down really is what we taller drivers need.

FWIW, my '63 Avanti seats were failing at the seams and never fit me well. As a interim solution, I bought some Japanese luxury leather 6-way-adjustable heated seats from the wrecking yard. It's a different car now.

jack vines

Ron Strasser
06-28-2018, 02:44 PM
jif988;
I made spacers that go between the track and the seat bottom. The spacers are 1/4 inch thick and move the seat back 2 1/4 inches. I have pictures of the spacers and if you PM me with your e mail address I will send them to you. Worked well and my 6 foot 3 legs are happy.
Having 3 different seat track assemblies; I found that all 3 have a different amounts of travel.
Ron

Hawklover
06-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Jon Myer makes seat track extensions in many different lengths.
Contact him at:740-674-4897

Hawklover
06-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Jon Myer makes seat track extensions in many different lengths.
Contact him at:740-674-4897

52 Ragtop
06-28-2018, 10:26 PM
I used some strap steel, drilled a hole in each end, the mounted them between the seat bottom and seat frame, If I remember, they were about 2" long, worked great for me.

Jim

sals54
06-28-2018, 10:56 PM
I did mine myself. I used a couple of strap steel pieces, same width as the tracks. I bought them at the local hardware store. Be sure they're at least 4 inches longer than the seat tracks.
Bend the end of the straps in the same shape and angle as the tabs on the seat tracks. Then bend the tabs on the front of your seat tracks to lay flat.
Drill a hole in the tab you just bent in the straps to match the one originally on the bent end of the seat tab.
Drill holes in the straps to mount the seat tracks to the straps. Use the rear bolt holes as a guide. Not the fronts. The front ones will be arbitrary compared to the rear seat track holes. I moved mine about 4 inches rearward.
With the holes drilled in the straps to match the original seat track mounting points, the strap can be checked for correct mounting location.
Bolt the seat tracks to the straps, then mount the straps into the original floor mounting locations. Remember, the seat does not need to be mounted as firmly as you may think.
Seat belts will hold you in place, and hold the seats down as well.
I'm sure this is as clear as mud. But good luck. I'm 6'2" and about 230. Fits like a glove.

jif988
06-29-2018, 07:41 AM
Hi Ron, thanks so much for responding to my question about moving Avanti seats rearward. If you could send pictures of the spacers you made it would be most appreciated. My e-mail is jif988@gmail.com. Best regards..Lance

64Avanti
07-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Yes, and it totally changes the feel of the car. Getting one's inner ear and H-point a few inches back and down really is what we taller drivers need.

FWIW, my '63 Avanti seats were failing at the seams and never fit me well. As a interim solution, I bought some Japanese luxury leather 6-way-adjustable heated seats from the wrecking yard. It's a different car now.

jack vines

Jack,
What seats did you use?