Ross steering box lube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Ross steering box lube.

I have some semi- fluid grease that I want to put in my 1953 Commander steering box but I want to check if there are any tips for getting it in.
    I took the fill plug out but it looks like part of the inside of the box is in the way. Also, it appears like a previous owner may have put 90W oil in it because I have
    had a leak which I'm now pretty sure is coming from where the shaft comes out of the box. Do I need to take the side plate off to check and clean it out first?
    I can't see anything that looks like a drain plug. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Get the front wheels off the ground where you can work the mechanism back and forth by tugging on the wheel/tire. This way you can move the mechanism some to clear the opening and fill it full of your lube. Probably not necessary to clean it out unless there is something in it other than lube. When you top it off, work the wheels back and forth through the full range and check where the level is - might take a little more to top it off. Good luck.

Comment

I use Mercury marine grease 2_4_C. It it a squeezable (come in a plastic tube) grease and is EXACTLY the same consistancy and color of the stuff that was put in my car 30 years ago. Seems to work for me.

Comment

I use Kendall 999 (may have a prefix - I am not where I can look at it). I used to sell it for $2 per tube and then found it hard to get, so I saved some for personal use.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It does not matter what you put in if it all leaks out again. Fix the leak FIRST.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There is a semi-fluid CV joint grease that contains moly, which should work fine in a Ross, given that they are all now worn out, anyway.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have been using the John Deere Corn Head grease # AN 102562, which comes in a tube that fits a grease gun. Digging thru my fittings,I found a brass adapter that was the size of the fill plug and found a zerk fitting that fit it, just assemble , screw in box and go to town. Lou Cote

Comment

I don't know if the boxes are the same, but when I resurrected my '59 Lark (standard steering) from a 40+ year hibernation, someone on this forum recommended this Lucas product and it worked super.CHAIN LUBRICANT

Lucas Chain Lubricant was developed to be a long lasting, all weather, all temperature lubricant and protectant for chains, sprockets, cables and open gears.
                Luck, Bill

Comment

Working...
                X