PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: 1957 Golden hawk brake directional signal problem

Stephen
06-26-2018, 03:56 PM
HI:
I know that somewhere in the tech forum issues similar to this have been discussed—but I can’t find the appropriate thread. My problem is the left brake light and left rear turn signals do not work on the 1957 Golden Hawk I am trying to restore.
Things that I know:
1. Tail lights and parking lights work fine - both sides front and back.
2. License plate light works
3. Trunk light works
4. Turn signal works to indicate right turn both in the front and rear
5. Left turn signal (front) works good but seems brighter than similar signal on right
6. White wire at rear inoperative (suspect that it was for backup light –disconnected by a P.O. when the automatic was replaced with a BW T-86 3 speed w/OD
7. The Black/Oak wire at the rear does not get any power with Brake or turn signal (no position of the turn signal switch provides any power to the connector.
Things I suspect:
1. Turn signal switch???
2. Faulty connection somewhere in circuits
3. Something I have not thought of.

Any comments will help—please
Steve

StudeRich
06-26-2018, 04:08 PM
You GOT IT! Number 1 & 2 Have to be the problem.

If it IS a Terminal or wire issue the FIRST place to look is the disconnects from the steering column to the main harness and rear harness.

Always check all of those possibilities FIRST, since it is a bugger to pull the steering wheel and deal with the "Other" suspect. ;)

UPDATE; the more I think about this I realize that with no power on the Left Turn/Stop wire, but working Right Stop Light, the stop light power IS getting to the Turn Signal Switch, but not to the Left, so unfortunately, it probably IS the T/S Sw. unless that Black with Oak tracer, Left Wire is simply unplugged at the Column. :(

bensherb
06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
You didn't mention if the involved filiment of the bulb is good. Brake and turn are the same filiment. Check the bulb with a meter and check it's connections. Then check the turn signal switch.

rkapteyn
06-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Try grounding the tail light.
In one of the post on problems like this , someone had a wrench laying on the bumper that touched the tail light and everything started working when the tail light was properly grounded.

Stephen
06-27-2018, 08:12 AM
Hi: (StudeRich, bensherb & rkaptey)
Thank you for the suggestions.
Additional information I know:
1. Both bulb filaments show no resistance on an ohmmeter.
2. I can activate the left brake light filament if I plug it into the tail light circuit.
3. I can provide additional grounding to the tail light housing but seems to be of little use if I can’t get power back to the connector.
Next steps:
1. Remove seat (76 year olds don’t bend well enough to get under dash as 20 year-olds)
2. Check continuity of Black/Oak wire from steering column to rear connector. –If bad replace
3. If 2. Fails remove and replace switch.
PS (StudeRich) your update seems to be right on point.

bensherb
06-27-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure which turn signal switch a '57 uses but on many of them it's pretty easy to clean the contacts and free up sticky contact springs. It may just be a dirty switch.

Stephen
06-28-2018, 05:06 AM
Hi: (StudeRich, bensherb & rkaptey)
Problem solved!!!

More information I know:
1. Continuity of Black/Oak wire from steering column to rear connector is good
2.Mystery wire connection to black oak wire before connector of wire that leads to the rear
3.Mystery wire went through firewall and ended in the engine compartment not connected to anything.
4.End of wire in engine compartment without insulation
5.Removed mystery wire and dressed where connection had been.
6.All direction signals and brake lights work now.
Speculation
1. Power was being fed from the directional switch in the designed manner but since there was less resistance in the mystery wire’s short to ground no power went to the rear.
2. Or, disconnecting and reconnecting the Black/Oak circuit at the steering column solved the original problem—The one that the P.O.’s “Mystery wire” had been an attempt to fix.
Lesson:
Check wires against wiring diagram and be suspicious of “Mystery” connections. And, check and clean all suspicious connections.

Thank you all for your assistance and concern. It is really comforting to have a sounding board, good advice and to know you are not alone.
Steve