1959 Silver Hawk 25 year old barn find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Silver Hawk 25 year old barn find

The driver's door jam says exactly "59V-I843I", cowl tag says exactly "59V C6" and below that "5463". So, its a '59 Hawk however...
    the stamped number on the machined pad on the block at the front left side is "382482" which the books say is a 1956 block. 1959 begins with 418701. The carburetor is a Carter not Stromberg. Who is Sherlock to answer these riddles?

The engine was apparently changed by someone through the years. Not all that uncommon on a 49 year old car.

Dave Bonn
    Valencia, PA
    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

The engine was apparently changed by someone through the years. Not all that uncommon on a 49 year old car.

Dave Bonn
      Valencia, PA
      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

But for a 3 year older engine? Nothing appears modified under the hood.

Comment

But for a 3 year older engine? Nothing appears modified under the hood.

Comment

Doesn't it have a letter "V" or "P" preceding the number? A '59 Silver Hawk have would have originally been a "V" 259.

IF it's really a '56, which it is not without the prefix, it would be the same as the original, except if it is still running it's original thick head gaskets, it would have 1/2 a point lower compression ratio. And it COULD BE a 289!
            You also could look in the spark plug hole for a dished piston, indicating a 289. The 259 had flat top pistons.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Doesn't it have a letter "V" or "P" preceding the number? A '59 Silver Hawk have would have originally been a "V" 259.

IF it's really a '56, which it is not without the prefix, it would be the same as the original, except if it is still running it's original thick head gaskets, it would have 1/2 a point lower compression ratio. And it COULD BE a 289!
              You also could look in the spark plug hole for a dished piston, indicating a 289. The 259 had flat top pistons.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks StudeRich, I'll double check the alpha/number tonight. To be sure, the number location is on a milled spot on the driver's side front of the block. Also, it has a Carter DWG carb, not the Stromberg for '59. I really appreciate the help. This is our first time out with Studebaker.

Comment

Thanks StudeRich, I'll double check the alpha/number tonight. To be sure, the number location is on a milled spot on the driver's side front of the block. Also, it has a Carter DWG carb, not the Stromberg for '59. I really appreciate the help. This is our first time out with Studebaker.

Comment

A Carter WCFB square bore, 4 Brl. Carb. was the Standard issue 4 Brl. Carb. on 1955 to 1962 Studebakers either standard equipped, or Optional depending on the model.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A Carter WCFB square bore, 4 Brl. Carb. was the Standard issue 4 Brl. Carb. on 1955 to 1962 Studebakers either standard equipped, or Optional depending on the model.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The milled number is V382482 which the Shop Manual indicates is a serial number of a 1956 block. Non-Stude friends around here say "Well, maybe it was a left over and was used in 1959." I would like a better explanation. Uncle Glen died 25 yr ago and Aunt Fay just put it away, so I don't have a historian.

Comment

The milled number is V382482 which the Shop Manual indicates is a serial number of a 1956 block. Non-Stude friends around here say "Well, maybe it was a left over and was used in 1959." I would like a better explanation. Uncle Glen died 25 yr ago and Aunt Fay just put it away, so I don't have a historian.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JTTomn

The driver's door jam says exactly "59V-I843I", cowl tag says exactly "59V C6" and below that "5463". So, its a '59 Hawk however...
                            the stamped number on the machined pad on the block at the front left side is "382482" which the books say is a 1956 block. 1959 begins with 418701. The carburetor is a Carter not Stromberg. Who is Sherlock to answer these riddles?
                            'Sherlock' resides at the SNM, aka the Production Order for that car which you can order from the museum. It will have the engine number that it originally came with on it.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JTTomn

'Sherlock' resides at the SNM, aka the Production Order for that car which you can order from the museum. It will have the engine number that it originally came with on it.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X