Click image for larger version

Name:	Dial.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1758124
    I found this dial with a stash of Packard and Studebaker
    parts P N H D L R
    Was this for the 56J?
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-25-2018, 06:49 PM.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]73455[/ATTACH]
      I found this dial with a stash of Packard and Studebaker
      parts P N H D L R
      Was this for the 56J?
      56 Packard Ultramatic

Bill
      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
      sigpic

Comment

That selector pattern was used on the 1956 Packard Ultramatic - which was used in the 56J, according to what I could find.

Comment

I do not remember any Packard or 56J having that "H" (High?) in there though.

Maybe some kind of Hydramatic, or Powerslide AFTER they figured out how to put a "P" Park in there?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In the 56J, there were "triangle" indicators either side of Drive, I believe to select first gear or second gear start (only 2 speeds plus torque convertor lockup).
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Just a thought: Hudson with a Packard V8 and Ultramatic?

Bob Miles
              Different by Design
              Different by Delight!

Comment

Just a guess but it seems like it was from a 50's GM hydromatic possibly.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

All the Hydramatics I have seen had NO Park position, Reverse was used once it stopped spinning, so unless it's a Jetaway or something else much newer than the '55 Olds I had, I have no idea.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I do not remember any Packard or 56J having that "H" (High?) in there though.

Maybe some kind of Hydramatic, or Powerslide AFTER they figured out how to put a "P" Park in there?
                    When the 'Ulcermatic' was introduced in 1950, Packard used H (High) instead of D (Drive) in their shift dials.

The shift dials on 1955/56 Packards were located in the dash. Studebaker, 1950/54 Packard & 1957/58 Packabakers shift dials located on the column.

Jet-Away Hydra-Matic introduced in 1956, standard equipment on Cadillac & Olds 98, optional in Olds 88 and Pontiac.

All '57's and thru 1963 used Jet Away, that have a P in the shift dial.

Prior to Jet Away, you placed the Hydra-Matic shift lever in reverse (once the engine was off) to keep the vehicles from rolling.

I'd be willing to be that 90% of the people that own these cars today are unaware of this.

btw: In 1953, after the Hydra-Matic factory burned down, Pontiac's came with Power-Glide and Olds & Cadillac came with Dynaflow.

My dad once told me, if you see an '53 Olds or Cadillac w/a P in the shift dial, it's Dynaflow.
                    Last edited by WinM1895; 06-28-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                      Just a thought: Hudson with a Packard V8 and Ultramatic?
                      Absolutely!
                      1955 Nash & Hudson: Packard 320 V8 & either Ultra-Matic, 3 speed M/T or Warner T85 3 M/T with Overdrive.

Early 1956 Nash and Hudson came with the Packard 352 and the choice of these three trannies.

Packard prez James J. Nance made a deal with AMC, Packard would buy certain parts from them, if AMC would buy certain parts from Studebaker-Packard.

AMC got the short end of the stick, the only parts Packard bought was the in-dash A/C that Nash had developed. This A/C was only used in Packard/Clipper.

When the new AMC V8 was introduced, the deal was cancelled.

1955/56 Nash and Hudson also came with 6 cylinder engines. Nash was OHV, Hudson was a flathead.
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X