Removing the Lock from a 1950 Commander Trunk Handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the Lock from a 1950 Commander Trunk Handle

Can the Hurd lock assembly be removed from the handle if the keys are missing?

Also, is it hard to change the cylinder pins to match a different key?

Thanks, Tom

You need the lock turned to the correct position in order to push the retaining pin in. You either need the key to do this or you need to pick the lock. I would lube the lock well as the tumblers get stuck if not used for a long period. I have never been successful of picking the lock but I have been successful with carefully drilling out the lock that has no key. You have to be very careful so as not to destroy the parts behind the lock. It is not easy to change Hurd pins, at least for me.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There are not that many different cuts on those keys. No doubt someone you know has a key that will work in that cylinder. I never throw away old Studebaker keys.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you have the production order for that car, it has the trunk key number on it
        which fit both the trunk and glove box locks.
        Give me that number and I may have that key.
        I have over a hundred keys identified by numbers and am learning how to used my Curtis key cutter.
        You can text the number to me at 815 212 2389
        or email me at studebaker@mac.com
        Put "Studebaker in the subject line otherwise it goes straight to "Trash"

Comment

Robert, I sent you a list of wanted parts the other day, but haven't heard back.
          The trunk lock I'm working on is a handle I bought at a swap meet, so no known numbers to go with it.
          I'd like to get it apart, then check the price of having it replated.

I just found your email, so all is good. My Hotmail has been slow lately, so I wasn't sure the list went through.
          Last edited by TWChamp; 06-24-2018, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Rather than plating yours it maybe cheaper to locate a N.O.S handle with lock and key.
            Your car is a 1950 Landcruiser , correct?
            In your email you gave me the key numbers.

Comment

I have an NOS handle with lock, but I need the main large part, or base, as mine is pitted.

Comment

Update: I bought a lock picking kit on ebay and finally got the lock turned so I could remove it from the handle, so now the spare handle and lock are broken down as far as they can be. Now I can take the base to see how much it will cost to get it plated.

Comment

(edit) Now I just re-read your post and saw that you are taking the base in to be chromed, not the handle. D'oh! Never mind.
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-07-2018, 01:56 PM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I removed the lock assembly with missing key in a Lark trunk by using multiple drive extensions to reach the holding nuts through the back seat.

Comment

Working...
                    X