PDA

View Full Version : Body: rear bumper for 53 K body

dclewallen
06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
There is a rear bumper on e-bay for a 53 Stude. says it fits all Stude. cars. I can't get in touch with the seller [s2desteve]. Can anyone tell by looking at the photos if it is the correct one for a 53 K body [mine was discarded by my brother by accident] Thanks all Darryl

ddub
06-21-2018, 06:46 PM
I have sent you a private message.

Mike Van Veghten
06-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Yes, 53, 54, 55, coupe, sedan, hardtop, wagon.

Despite what "I" was told (by many..!), some of the C-K parts DO fit sedans and wagons.
I have C-K bumpers and a C-K, Commander dash board mounted to my 54 wagon..! All fit properly, without modification.

BUT...the 55 "front" bumper, is an ONLY 55 front bumper.

Mike

studegary
06-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Despite what "I" was told (by many..!), some of the C-K parts DO fit sedans and wagons.
I have C-K bumpers and a C-K, Commander dash board mounted to my 54 wagon..! All fit properly, without modification.

Mike

A 1955 rear bumper is different than a 1953-1954 rear bumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike

A 1955 rear bumper is different than a 1953-1954 rear bumper.

Mike Van Veghten
06-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Gary -

Where?

I have both, on said cars. One ON a 54, one ON a 55.
If you think it's wider, not so.

Mike

P.s. - Yep - same same. Took a couple of quick measurements, per a tape measure, no difference. Bracket bolts, same, lic. plate protection, same, under the tail lights, same..!

brngarage
06-21-2018, 10:36 PM
Mike, it probably has the same dimensions, but the '55 to '64 rear bumper has the license plate area as part of the bumper, where the '53 and '54 use a separate piece to surround the license plate.

studegary
06-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Gary -

Where?

I have both, on said cars. One ON a 54, one ON a 55.
If you think it's wider, not so.

Mike

P.s. - Yep - same same. Took a couple of quick measurements, per a tape measure, no difference. Bracket bolts, same, lic. plate protection, same, under the tail lights, same..!

They are the same dimensions as far as width and bolt locations, but they have a different (cross-section) shape. The center section is different and the curved ends under the taillights are different.

EDIT: If your '54 and '55 are the same in all of the places that you mention, one must have an incorrect rear bumper.

Jerry Forrester
06-22-2018, 07:20 AM
They are the same dimensions as far as width and bolt locations, but they have a different (cross-section) shape. The center section is different and the curved ends under the taillights are different.

EDIT: If your '54 and '55 are the same in all of the places that you mention, one must have an incorrect rear bumper.

Mike is talking about a station wagon while everyone else is talking about coupes and sedans. Get it together people. <G>

WilburV
06-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Just sent you a private message.

studegary
06-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Mike is talking about a station wagon while everyone else is talking about coupes and sedans. Get it together people. <G>

Thank you. That minor exception to the rule did not come across to me. Of course, the station wagon similarity is correct.

dclewallen
07-17-2018, 03:23 PM
I got a bumper for my 53K but I am missing all the hardware. I'm thinking the bolts that attach the front and rear bumpers would be common hardware store bolts but the special chrome bumper bolts themselves brings another question. I will not be using the bumper guards or tag surround so will the rectangular chrome bolts cover the round holes in the bumpers? Thanks, Dclewallen

Alan
07-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Why don't you get some 7/16" stainless steel carriage bolts and grind a little off 2 sides . Then polish them.

Studebakercenteroforegon
07-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Or, buy the correct oval shaped bumper bolts from Studebaker International. 524872 Bumper Bolt, Page 122 of their current catalog. (SI calls them Rectangular Head....I stock and sell these and they are very correct.)

tsenecal
07-17-2018, 09:48 PM
I recommend the oval bolts from SI as well. They fit nice and look original. They have a stainless cap over the head of the bolt, so will be easier to keep shined up as well.

jimmijim8
07-18-2018, 07:14 AM

Mike

You are not correct on your bumper info. I think 55 thru 64 C/K and 55 sedan share the same F/R bumper stamping. 56 Sedan share the front bumper stamping only. cheers jimmijim

Jerry Forrester
07-18-2018, 07:39 AM

Mike

Expand on this Mike. Did you mean 'of the '54-55 wagons'?
My understanding is, from '55 through '64 all C-K's used the same front bumpers. The only difference being, some had 6 bolt holes, some 8, and some 10.
Also, the '55 sedans used the same bumpers, front and rear, as the '55 through '64 C-K's . That is, except for the hole count in the front.

Jerry Forrester
07-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Or, buy the correct oval shaped bumper bolts from Studebaker International. 524872 Bumper Bolt, Page 122 of their current catalog. (SI calls them Rectangular Head....I stock and sell these and they are very correct.)

Darryl's question was not where to get the bolts. It was, will the rectanglular head bolts cover the tag guard mount holes?

Jerry Forrester
07-18-2018, 07:50 AM
rectangular chrome bolts......?? Thanks, Dclewallen

They are not chrome. They are stainless capped bolts.

tsenecal
07-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Yes, they will cover the holes. I just installed my front bumper, and had the same plan. The Two holes that are not used to mount the bumper are round, but the carriage style bolt fits in the hole. I wish now, that I had welded them up, before it went to the chrome shop.

dclewallen
07-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks all for the bolt info. Now to place my order with SI, Darryl

tsenecal
07-18-2018, 05:17 PM
This may sound like overkill to some, but my chrome shop had me send new bolts, (from SI) , and they removed each stainless cap, chromed them, and put them back on. Not necessary, by any means, but they do match the chrome bumper better.

Jerry Forrester
07-18-2018, 06:06 PM
This may sound like overkill to some, but my chrome shop had me send new bolts, (from SI) , and they removed each stainless cap, chromed them, and put them back on. Not necessary, by any means, but they do match the chrome bumper better.

But if you polish the SS capped bolts you can get very close to the chrome look.

tsenecal
07-18-2018, 08:00 PM
I figured that, but the guy at the chrome shop assured me that they would look better. I think that they do, but most likely not worth the bother.