Clocking the Top of the 1950 Commander Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocking the Top of the 1950 Commander Fuel Pump

I recall my 1950 Commanders having the fuel bowl clocked to point towards the right headlamp, so when I installed the new diaphram in my 1950 Land Cruiser pump, I clocked it the same way. It wouldn't work because the brass fitting hit the inner fender, so I went back to look at one of my engine pictures, and sure enough, it points straight forward.

Now I have one more thing to keep note of when I look at 1950 Studebakers.
    Does anyone know if this is a Land Cruiser thing, or is it a mid year change, or something else?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pump 1950 Commander 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1758095 Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	1758096

Tomorrow I'll be driving 70 miles northwest to help a guy start his 1950 Land Cruiser, which hasn't been started since the 60's. I'll have to remember to take pictures of many parts including the fuel pump, to see how his is clocked.

Comment

Why not drive your Land Cruiser up there and then you can compare it to his?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Why not drive your Land Cruiser up there and then you can compare it to his?
        I was thinking about doing that, but with our latest heat and humidity, I like to have air conditioning.

Comment

Don't be a wimp. Just be glad it's not snowing.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

All 3 of my 50 commander starlights have had the pump pointing as in your picture. I tried putting a pump off a 47-49 commander on one of them and it would not work as it was turned pointing to the headlight and it hit the fender on the 50. The pumps look the same other wise. I thought that one could undo the screws and rotate it so it would fit the 50 but never tried this. You can rotate the pumps on 55-58 to fit on 59-65 170's and think this could be the same case
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Well, no good deed goes unpunished. I drove my 1999 Olds 130 miles round trip to get this guy's Land Cruiser running after a 35 year period. After cleaning the points, and fixing a corroded loose connection at the starter relay, finally got it started. He had no coolant, so only ran it for 15 seconds. On the way home my right rear tire picked up a screw, went flat, and shredded to pieces by the time I pulled over.

I've been wanting to clean out my trunk full of tools, parts, and crap, but not on the side of the freeway.

His fuel pump is also pointing straight forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1721304

Comment

Working...
              X