PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Charging and GPS use on 6 Volts Positive Ground

TWChamp
06-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Cell phones and GPS work fine on your stock 6 volt positive ground vehicles. Just make sure you connect the center contact of the socket to the positive ground. I bought some of the black insulated sockets shown on ebay for 99 cents each. The blue USB adaptor was a dollar at Dollar Tree. The USB and multi socket adaptor was less than 3 dollars, and will work on 6 or 12 volts, as the USB ports are dropped to 5 volts with any voltage between 6 and 12 volts. The same goes for the blue USB adaptor. The USB fan was less than $5. The alligator clips are about a dollar at Menards, and I used them to make this adaptor each to switch between vehicles. I'll use eye terminals to make a permanent installation later when I make a mounting bracket for the socket.

The fan is virtually silent and gives a nice breeze to help keep you cool in your Studebaker. It only draws 1/2 amp, and the blue USB adaptor is rated for 1 amp. As mentioned, the USB adaptors shown drop the voltage to 5 volts and will work fine on 6 or 12 volts, but must be plugged into a socket with the center contact positive. I also show a 12 volt 2 amp 110 volt transformer so I can use the fan, GPS, and phone charger in the house. I left an inch or so of wire on the plug that I cut off the transformer, just in case I need it for some future project. My Land Cruiser came without a lighter socket, but if your car has one, then you can use a lighter plug instead of the 2 alligator clips, and connect the wire from the center of the black socket to the outside of the plug. This will swap polarity for your socket.

christophe
06-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.
Nice day to all.

Jerry Forrester
06-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Cell phones and GPS work fine on your stock 6 volt positive ground vehicles. Just make sure you connect the center contact of the socket to the positive ground. I bought some of the black insulated sockets shown on ebay for 99 cents each. The blue USB adaptor was a dollar at Dollar Tree. The USB and multi socket adaptor was less than 3 dollars, and will work on 6 or 12 volts, as the USB ports are dropped to 5 volts with any voltage between 6 and 12 volts. The same goes for the blue USB adaptor. The USB fan was less than $5. The alligator clips are about a dollar at Menards, and I used them to make this adaptor each to switch between vehicles. I'll use eye terminals to make a permanent installation later when I make a mounting bracket for the socket.

The fan is virtually silent and gives a nice breeze to help keep you cool in your Studebaker. It only draws 1/2 amp, and the blue USB adaptor is rated for 1 amp. As mentioned, the USB adaptors shown drop the voltage to 5 volts and will work fine on 6 or 12 volts, but must be plugged into a socket with the center contact positive. I also show a 12 volt 2 amp 110 volt transformer so I can use the fan, GPS, and phone charger in the house. I left an inch or so of wire on the plug that I cut off the transformer, just in case I need it for some future project. My Land Cruiser came without a lighter socket, but if your car has one, then you can use a lighter plug instead of the 2 alligator clips, and connect the wire from the center of the black socket to the outside of the plug. This will swap polarity for your socket.

Why do you need GPS in your house? Are you planning to move down here to the deep South, where almost all of us have our cars on blocks and our house on wheels.

skyway
06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
"the deep South, where almost all of us have our cars on blocks and our house on wheels."

...and/or rural Missouri!
...and funny too.

StudeRich
06-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Nice setup if you NEED it. :cool: I would have to drive for about 4 or 5 days before my Cellphone Battery would need plugging into a Motel wall receptacle or one at Home, so I just keep it charged.

T.J. lavallee
06-20-2018, 12:50 PM
This is a brilliantly presented directions manual. Than you for posting. I've bookmarked it to have and share.