Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champ steering post jacket quandry... 7E & 8E same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Champ steering post jacket quandry... 7E & 8E same?

So for some reason, the steering post jacket on my 7E5 is in two pieces - torn in half where the shift levers come out at the bottom.

According to the parts catalogs, the jacket is 1551129P - the only car that matches that is the 1960 Hawk... (all the Lark jackets are about two inches shorter) The length for the Champ jacket is 32 3/64"...

I don't have the 8E parts catalog - is the number/length the same? How about 5E or 6E? I have access to three 8E parts trucks back home in Texas, so if that will work... and because they would be free, it is probably completely different and will not work.

The number you quoted is for 5E-6E (1960-61). The jacket for a 7E-8E (1962-63-64) with 3 speed manual transmission is 1554535 and measures 32 7/16". This is the same part number on 1962-63-64 GT Hawks with 3 spd manual trans. 1960 and '61 Hawks used different part numbers but length is shown as the same 32 7/16".
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain - think this is where the different parts catalogs gets confusing. The number I quoted was from the 7E catalog, but it looks like it was not 100% correct, or at least it was superseded by the 8E parts catalog... Thanks again.

Comment

The 63 T cabs use a different steering box so of course the tubes will be different.
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

This is a good example why it is best to find the latest printing of parts books. Reprints generally are the latest editions with any updates included. The 7E parts book was printed in December 1961 and was superceded by the 7E-8E book printed January 1963. Then there was a 100+ page update sent out to dealers for their 7E-8E parts books. Look for pages with "Revised 1-64" at the bottom.
          OH....and mistakes in the parts books? Not uncommon!
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X