PDA

View Full Version : Paint: 1963 Velvet Black color match ups

Waydon
06-16-2018, 01:45 AM
The paint on the tops of the front fenders on our 1963 Lark is getting really thin so I will be repainting them.
Does anyone know of a modern day black that matches Velvet black? I have often heard there are many shades of black.
Any advice would be appreciated.

TWChamp
06-16-2018, 04:37 AM
I'm in the same boat for my velvet black 1950 Land cruiser, as the hood and front fender tops need to be painted.

swvalcon
06-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Be sure to use a single stage black no matter what you use. The base clears have a different shade compared to the single stage. If you want to clear coat you can clear single stage after a couple hours to overnight dry without sanding. It doesn't seem to change the shade of the color like it does on base clear. I would have a paint store do a profit reading on it and I they should be able to get the closest match.

T.J. lavallee
06-16-2018, 02:35 PM
paintref.com/Studebaker will give modern, current paint codes and suppliers. (Ditzsler, DuPont, ect.) Color matches are astoundingly accurate from original colors. Just click on your year and see all the color pallets. Worth a shot before driving around finding a paint shop willing to research the old paint code or do a profit reading, then mixing to try and match it.The original paint codes do not correlate to current modern paint formulas. Paintref.com has already done all this research for you. Velvet Black will be the same Velvet Black that was used by Studebaker from the mid 30's through the 60's with the exception of a few years of production. Incidentally, GM and Chrysler also used the same Velvet Black formula.

RadioRoy
06-16-2018, 02:43 PM
It's been years since I did any car painting, but was always under the impression that black was black. It was the only car color that was the same no matter what company used it. In the last 20 years or so, companies have added metallic and pearl and other colors to black, but before that, weren't they all the same?

Educate me, please.

rockne10
06-16-2018, 02:58 PM
... was always under the impression that black was black. My impression as well. Sans glitter, carbon is carbon.

TWChamp
06-16-2018, 03:43 PM
I started painting my Model A chassis parts with PPG 9000, then 9300 came out, and I couldn't tell the difference, but the paint expert in our car club said the 9000 has a brownish look compared to 9300. I spray can some small parts, but don't like the way Rustoleum has a grayish look as compared to a high quality black. Look at my voltage regulator cover and horn compared to the original black on the firewall. Someone sprayed some junk on the firewall, but you can see patches of good original black. I wish I could find a blacker black in a spray can.

swvalcon
06-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Years ago black was back but in the later years there is more than one shade of black. Some of the off the shelf back will not match. A lot of the base clear blacks have a brown or gray tint to them and most times you will not see it until they are side to side.

JLB
06-17-2018, 04:39 AM
Try POR 15 TOP COAT in a spray can. Expensive, but in my opinion, a great product.
John

jackb
06-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Take the car to any reputable auto paint shop and have them take formula photos of a good spot on your car...will likely be a dead match...

Waydon
06-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Thank you very much for the advice. Went to that site and now have the codes for 8 different brands. Thank you again, really appreciate it.

Waydon
06-19-2018, 01:24 AM
And you very much. I now have the codes for 8 different manufactures.

- - - Updated - - -

Hank you for the advice. Really appreciate it.

creegster
06-19-2018, 01:53 AM
Try POR 15 TOP COAT in a spray can. Expensive, but in my opinion, a great product.
John

I thought POR 15 was not UV resistant?

JLB
06-19-2018, 05:46 AM
I thought POR 15 was not UV resistant?

You are correct for the Rust Preventive version. The TOP COAT is UV resistant, but it is not rust preventive. Comes in both cans of various sizes and 14 oz. spray cans. If you want the best of both, first coat regular POR 15, second coat, TOP COAT.
John

tsenecal
06-19-2018, 09:45 AM
TWChamp, you might try Duplicolor, engine enamel. It comes in rattle cans, and sprays out nicely. It also has ceramic in it, so very durable, and comes in semi gloss, and gloss black. I've used it to restore all of the original black items, under the hood, etc. on my Hawk.

TWChamp
06-19-2018, 10:11 AM
TWChamp, you might try Duplicolor, engine enamel. It comes in rattle cans, and sprays out nicely. It also has ceramic in it, so very durable, and comes in semi gloss, and gloss black. I've used it to restore all of the original black items, under the hood, etc. on my Hawk.

Duplicolor and Tempo were always my favorite spray cans of paint, but I haven't seen Tempo since the 70's and Rustoleum seems to hold a monopoly on the stores around here.

I'll have to call around to see if I can find Duplicolor.