PDA

View Full Version : 51 Commander questions , getting close

lelshaddai
06-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Getting close to getting the 51 mechanically sound,
Done: Brakes, electrical, 232 engine starts and runs well, gauges checkout

Questions: started to tackle cooling system. She was getting a bit warm so I tore it all down, removed radiator and neck. flushed radiator and engine. Lots of black sludge. Thermostat opened a 187F, wrong cap. Replaced cap with 4psi, I know it might need no pressure but I will try it, new 160 thermostat, new hoses. Filled it up with straight water for now. Will drain and replace with coolant. It was 92 outside today, at idle she was 199 at top of the tank and 167 at the bottom. 195 at the water pump. Gauge reached the top of the rectangle past midpoint. Dropped down temp when driving. Is that an acceptable range?

Still working out bugs in transmission( DG200). Does not die any longer while in drive. When you slow down at what speeds should it drop into 2nd. It seems it stays in third when slowing down rounding a corner. I have to push down harder to activate the detent to get it to drop down. Thoughts? Still need to adjust detent more?

Car stutters while driven at constant speed. Miss? Carb? Transmission? It is timed correctly, carb rebuilt and adjusted. Thoughts?

TWChamp
06-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Did you remove the block core plugs to clean out any sludge?
It likes to settle in the rear of the engines.

My 50 Land Cruiser would stutter some while driving when I first picked it up. After 20 miles I added a can of Sea Foam to the gas, and within about 20 to 25 miles it was running great. After I got home I went through the carb, but it was pretty clean, and I couldn't find anything wrong. It's still running great.

lelshaddai
06-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Sea Foam, forgot about the additives.

StudeRich
06-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes adjust the throttle Pressure per the Shop Manual, it is not a Detent though, those lock in various positions as the Shift Lever Linkage does.
Remember that Lower Rod is NOT a Kickdown, it is the Total Pressure Control of the Transmission that controls How Far it goes in 2nd. before it shifts to High and How harsh the shift is. :ohmy:

The "Studder" could be Bad Plugs or Wires, even if NEW! Check them.

lelshaddai
06-15-2018, 09:38 PM
I did adjust according to the manual.. But it looks like I’ll have to fine-tune it more. I heard that there were some addendum letters that showed that the adjustments in the book we’re off but I do not know if that’s true.