body numbers for 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body numbers for 1966

My car is vin C533749 and the body number is 7146 and came off the line on Jan 11, 1966 two months before the end of production. My question is this....which relates to the number in order of cars coming off the line when they were built? My guess is that the body number tag best fits logicly in my case.
    Attached Files

Vehicle serial numbers (VINs in today's terminology) were issued sequentially, so that is the number that determines the order of production. Body numbers were assigned when body tubs were assembled, but the bodies were then stockpiled and not necessarily pulled from stock in the order in which they were produced. Body numbers were assigned just so that dealers could supply the correct parts for bodies, which sometimes had running changes.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you. Of course that must be the case since the vin is what they use to get your build sheet..

Comment

Double, I notice your car is not in the 1966 registry. Would you mind sending me a PM with the car's details? You can view the registry by going to the home page, clicking on "resources" and then "registries" (2nd from the bottom). the 1966 registry is at the top of the list. I'm trying to document all the '66 models I can.
        thanks,
        Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
        X