View Full Version : Bringing a Canadian built Studebaker from the U.S. to Canada

06-12-2018, 12:02 PM
I'll be selling a 1966 Studebaker soon and wonder if anyone knows whether re-inporting it into Canada would be easy/hard, like any American made car? It was made in Canada but sold new in Minnesota.

06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
It is easily done. There is no Canadian bar to importing it. It does have to be cleared for export by the U.S. government. To start the process, the exporter (who should ideally be your buyer), needs to get an "Internal Transaction Number" from the U.S. government. There are online brokers who do this for you; costs about 40 dollars or so. Search for "get ITN on-line", and you should be on your way. Then, with an ITN in hand, contact U.S. Customs and Border protection, and get a vehicle export worksheet. The office in Whitlash, MT handles the paperwork for much of the West, but I think Blaine also can do it. Call and ask! You fill out the worksheet (one page, easy peasy) and then scan it and e-mail it to Whitlash (or Blaine) along with scans of front and rear of the title, and of the bill of sale. You need all these, or no can do. Customs needs 3 working days to process the paperwork. Then the exporter shows up at the expected border crossing point with the physical copies of the paperwork, goes into the U.S. Customs office (there is generally a parking area assigned for vehicle exports, ASK), and hands the paperwork to the Customs agent at the counter. Agent applies a rubber stamps, and says, "You are cleared to go." (But they do have the right to inspect the vehicle and verify the serial number, so be sure that VIN (serial number) on the physical car matches the paperwork exactly. (With Studebaker's use of the upper-case "I" character for the numeral "1" on serial plates, it would be wise to carry along some documentation of that fact, in case you draw a Customs agent who is unaware of that.) Forewarned is forearmed.

Having cleared out of the USA, your exporter (the buyer) then goes to Canadian customs, declares the import, and pays any applicable duty (normally none) Goods And Services tax on the declared value*, and the air-conditioning surcharge, if the car has A/C. Taxes paid, Canada Customs gives the importer a large form, which is very important to save, as it constitutes proof that the car was legally imported. Being as any Studebaker is now over 15 years old, it is officially a "vintage car", so exempt from the plethora of Transport Canada regulations that may complicate or even completely bar the import of certain new or recent models. In order to get the car registered and insured in his home Province, your buyer will have to get an "out-of-province" inspection done by one of the contracted providers of such services.

*Do not, under any circumstances, offer, or let yourself be cajoled into, putting a lower figure on the bill of sale than the actual agreed-upon price. The Customs agents weren't born yesterday, and they know people try to do this. When there was a 33% duty in force, there was a real incentive to try to cheat. Now that there is only a 5% GST to be paid, honesty is by far the best policy.

Hope this helps.

06-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Thank you....I'll go in armed with some actual knowledge....should be helpful. The car is on bringatrailer and anyone will be able to look up the sale price on the website since it is a no reserve auction, the sale price will be published. Hope some of you will make a bid on it...you sure won't find a more original, low mile beauty.

06-14-2018, 04:55 PM
A couple of important points for a smooth transaction: United States Customs now requires you to use a broker. The broker must ensure that the paperwork, correctly done, reaches United States Customs at least 72 hours before the vehicle being exported arrives there. I have delivered vehicles across the border in both directions (along with other drivers, usually in groups of 4). We have cleared Customs in 15 minutes, and we have spent 4 hours ---- it all depends on the quality of the broker's work.

Canada Border Services Agency will collect the 5 per cent GST. You will pay the provincial portion of the tax when you register the car in Canada, even if you live in an HST province.