Alternative Front Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Front Seats

Hi folks. In the name of safety, I am thinking of replacing my front seats of my 62 Hawk with something with headrests. I have to rebuild the original ones anyway. I've found some BMW seats that are in good shape for under $100 and would reupholster all of them to match. Anyone replace their seats with something that bolted in?
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
    Hi folks. In the name of safety, I am thinking of replacing my front seats of my 62 Hawk with something with headrests. I have to rebuild the original ones anyway. I've found some BMW seats that are in good shape for under $100 and would reupholster all of them to match. Anyone replace their seats with something that bolted in?
    I believe that you need seats with head restraints (not rests) for safety and they work best in conjunction with three point belts (shoulder).

Yes, this has been done. If you search on this site you should find a few examples. One that comes to mind is the use of Chrysler convertible seats with head restraints and built in shoulder belts.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As Gary said, the convertible seats would be an excellent choice. I believe member pat dilling has a set from a Sebring vert in his 53.

I used a set from an Acura TL in my 54K. I used an aftermarket set of three point seat belts tied to a rollbar. You would need to add a mount point for the shoulder belt in your Hawk. This is a shot of seat mount setup for comparison. The BMW seats should be a nice addition. Just look at the seat mount and see what you need to add to bolt them in the Hawk. Generally a bit of welding is necessary to fab brackets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	acura 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1721017

Bob

Comment

The Chrysler Le Barron Convertible Seats have the Shoulder Belts in the Seat, not in the Back Seat Floor like these, looks impossible to use the Back Seats, IF you ever do.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys. I've installed three point seat belts in both my 1952 Austin A40 and my 1956 Willys pickup with great success. They have bracket kits available for hot rods and old cars like ours. Since I have to replace the floor pans, I'm hoping I can weld in some reinforcements for the seat belt anchors. I'll try to start a thread on my build, although it will be slow and tedious.
          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I used the Chrysler Le Barron Convertible in my 59 2 door wagon. Cut the floor out of the Le Barron and bolted to the Studebaker floor. Did make the rear seat close.

Comment

Working...
            X