51 Landcruiser wiring harnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 51 Landcruiser wiring harnesses

Received my new complete wiring harness from Larkworks today, now the fun begins. Any advice or tips on the best way to start the project?

For a really nice job I recommend: Cut off the old harness right where it exits into the engine compartment. That portion of the harness will be easy to connect later. Remove your dash. Take some pictures of the back side chiefly for wire routing. Nip off all the wires leaving an inch or so at each connection. Take the instruments out, take them apart, clean the glasses, repaint needles, gently polish faces, lube the speedometer etc etc. Paint the dash if it needs it. Take each switch out and lube its shank, check for continuity and resistance in all positions. All of these old switches can be taken apart and cleaned if need be with very satisfying results. Now wire up the dash complete using the the old wire stubs and the wiring diagram as a guide. Install new bulbs at every location--a trivial expense. Route the wires per your photos and reinstall the dash. Now pull the long tails of the harness into the engine compartment through the grommet hole and make all of the connections there, discarding the old wires as you go.

Yes this is a lot of work, but actually less frustrating than having your feet over your head for several hours trying to make connections under the dash. Plus it gives you the opportunity to turn your dash back into the work of art it was when new. Every time you look at it you will be pleased and all your lights and accessories will work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      For a really nice job I recommend: Cut off the old harness right where it exits into the engine compartment. That portion of the harness will be easy to connect later. Remove your dash. Take some pictures of the back side chiefly for wire routing. Nip off all the wires leaving an inch or so at each connection. Take the instruments out, take them apart, clean the glasses, repaint needles, gently polish faces, lube the speedometer etc etc. Paint the dash if it needs it. Take each switch out and lube its shank, check for continuity and resistance in all positions. All of these old switches can be taken apart and cleaned if need be with very satisfying results. Now wire up the dash complete using the the old wire stubs and the wiring diagram as a guide. Install new bulbs at every location--a trivial expense. Route the wires per your photos and reinstall the dash. Now pull the long tails of the harness into the engine compartment through the grommet hole and make all of the connections there, discarding the old wires as you go.

Yes this is a lot of work, but actually less frustrating than having your feet over your head for several hours trying to make connections under the dash. Plus it gives you the opportunity to turn your dash back into the work of art it was when new. Every time you look at it you will be pleased and all your lights and accessories will work well.
      Yep, completed all this work and more when I rewired my 52 Commander recently. Very much worth the time and effort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_100751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1721002
      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Thanks Ross.

Comment

Working...
        X