1957 Goldenhawk. Thank you SDC - Mike, Rich, Neil and Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Goldenhawk. Thank you SDC - Mike, Rich, Neil and Chuck

A big thank you to the SDC village! We are getting close to being done finishing up my Dads 1957 Golden Hawk in time for Tacoma.
    HUGE shout outs to Mike (S) and Rich Gahlbeck (Studerich)! To Neil Wollam (289 eng rebuild) and Chuck Tubins (trans rebuild) on helping getting the car back to originality.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99473-Terry-Barnes-Puyallup-WA-1957-Goldenhawks&highlight=terry+barnes

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180402_152630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1758008Click image for larger version

Name:	New whitewalls 007.jpg
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1758012Click image for larger version

Name:	.facebook_1468540943971.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1758006 My siblings
    As posted before, the car is very solid and a fantastic example,no signs of rust, but wasn’t “original”. Years ago the 289 was removed (we had in dry storagefor 30 years, including heads, covers, pan, etc..) and was replaced with a supercharged 259 which ran fine. The automatic was removed in the 80s and was converted to a 3SP OD. A nice job, but at 6’5 300, I couldn’t drive it, I had to shift under my thigh.

Knowing the cars historical and sentimental value to me, I wanted to return the car to as original as possible, without breaking the bank. Well, whatever that means..

Engine:
    Neil Wollam drove across WA State to pick up the original engine and trans at my Dad’s house in Puyallup (Just a few miles from Tacoma and this year’s international meet) to start the rebuild. His “
    Great Studebaker adventure". 289 Serial number PS4462 was rebuilt.030 over, R2 cam grind. The clearances and condition are excellent! Whew! Love that guy!!

Transmission:Borg Warner was rebuilt by Chuck Tubins with a first gear start (still dialing that in).

Supercharger was rebuilt prior and converted to direct drive pulley.

So now I had a fresh engine and transmission, but it’s way over my head, capabilities, space and the work it will take to return back.

Time to drive up on tow truck. I didn’t trust the brakes for the 2 hour journey to Ferndale WA

Name:	20180118_102049.jpg
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1758007

Enter Mike (S) and Rich Gahlbeck (Studerich) in Ferndale, WA. I needed the engine and transmission swapped, remount and dial in supercharger, all new brakes, check suspension, return to automatic shifting, paint engine bay, figure out some wiring bugs and found a list of several things to improve. Such as HD front and rear sway bars, adding the missing cross member (yikes) doing some fancy driveline work returning back to a 2 piece driveline and fabricating the carrier bearing housing. Among many more tweaks and safety improvements!

Name:	Resized_20180519_122357_5775001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1758014Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_115958.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1758011Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_120256.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1758009

Mike spent many hours tinkering, restoring, painting, scrubbing, replacing, and Studebakering. Rich spent his time figuring out parts and how to dial all this in, including the fuel system, supercharger and driveline situation.

My wife loved the tour of their collections and was eyeing the Champ and the 54 Commander! I lost track of the cool cars and racks and racks of parts they have, but my Goldenhawk was in the best hands I know. They treat it like their own.

The discussion and priority with Mike: The key for me is to make it safe and dependable, so I can hop in and go get groceries or let my wife hop in and drive anytime. I wanted to stay original, but not be obsessed with every clamp, clip and washer to be exact. So if you are looking at the pics and see the wrong hose clamp, or wire, no need to comment as this wasn’t intended to be a perfect concourse winner. I want this to be a great representation and drivable, but not get obsessed chasing. And no, I’m not painting the badass polished supercharger and carb box black! Hey Rich, was there a clear hood option?? This looks cool.

Name:	Resized_20180519_122427_5711.jpg
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1758015Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180519_123042_6581.jpg
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1758010

It’s getting closer and just a minute ago a carpet kit arrived at the front door, to replace the hole where the floor shifter was .

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone as the car is getting closer to being done, to my standards. I will have it in Tacoma as a tribute to my dad. Is it the best GH around? No.. One of them maybe, but to me, who spent 30 years with this car and learning to tinker and sand and restore when I was young… it’s the world’s best, because it was my Dads.

Name:	VanAken-66.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1758013

As mentioned before, it was at my daughter’s wedding a few weeks after Dad passed in Mukilteo WA, where the car resides.

See you in Tacoma, look for me. Tall guy who can barely squeeze into the Goldenhawk.

Gordy
    Last edited by Big Smooth; 06-06-2018, 04:32 PM.
    sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Nice summary of all the work to get that GH back to original. Looks great.
    You mention the fancy work on the two piece drive shaft so I am wondering if you know the angles of the shafts. I have searched but cannot
    find information on aligning a two piece.

Comment

Good for you on seeing this project through.

I also had a highly polished supercharger on my 1957 Golden Hawk.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gordy, thanks for sharing your story and showing off your beautiful Hawk. I know your dad would be proud.
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

What a great story and beautiful car!

Comment

I like it. The 57 Golden Hawk is one more of my dream cars that I'll never be able to afford.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              I like it. The 57 Golden Hawk is one more of my dream cars that I'll never be able to afford.
              Thanks, its a great, solid car. If you click the link at the top is the story how it came about.

We paid 4K for it (we threw in 2K each in 1988). The good ol days I suppose! Now only if we could go back and buy up cars and stock!

Just think of all the cool cars we had or had a chance at owning and now are untouchable.
              sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                Nice summary of all the work to get that GH back to original. Looks great.
                You mention the fancy work on the two piece drive shaft so I am wondering if you know the angles of the shafts. I have searched but cannot
                find information on aligning a two piece.
                Thank you! Will have to get Mike to chime in. When the car was converted to the auto, the bearing housing was literally cut out and a long driveshaft was fabricated. Mike had a donor car and was able to weld in a replacement. Luckily there was enough meat to use as a locating template.
                sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Comment

I can't help much with the angles of the shafts, it was all 'stock items' we had to round up per the book. I did do quite a bit of 'jigging' before I welded it up, but I was not looking at the angles because the shafts were 'stock lengths' and the center bearings and stuff was all NOS or cleaned up used. I just had to be sure it was all in the right place.

The rear shaft was a used C/k part and the front was also, but it had to be cut and shorter. The car has had the rear leaves redone and a leaf has been added so I am sure the angles won't be original. I guess I could measure what it turned out to be but the angles may not be 'stock' because of the added spring.

Comment

Working...
                  X