Cool or Dorky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool or Dorky?

O.K. -- when I bought my 1964 Daytona about a year ago it came with a rear window venetian blind which was not installed -- but the base brackets on the rear parcel shelf were left installed.

The car was delivered new in New Mexico and spent most of its life there -- so having the blinds made sense.

This afternoon I put the blind in to see what it would look like -- I learned in the process that the easy way to install one of these is to take the slats out of the vertical brackets and install the brackets first and then put the slats back in -- I fumbled briefly with the whole unit but it quickly became clear that would not work.

Anyhow -- the question is -- does the car look cool or dorky with the blinds? I'm excluding the votes of anyone under 12 -- my grandsons were not thrilled with the addition.

Opinions please!
    Attached Files
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

JMHO: In a 2 Dr. Hardtop it would be dorky, in a 4 Door Sedan, ...acceptable.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's ok with me....
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Well, I'm 58 years past 12 and I vote that they stay.
        I had a 68 Plymouth Satellite 2 Dr Hardtop with a sunscreen in the rear window. From the outside it was shinny silver color and from the inside it was black and easily seen through. On a trip from Phoenix to South Bend in 1976 we were traveling through Oklahoma when a State Trooper took notice and followed us for miles. He finally pulled along side and peered through the car at the back window. Upon seeing that there was good vision OUT, I guess he was satisfied and continued on his way. Chances are he had never seen anything like it in Oklahoma while in Arizona they were very common.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Fine with me.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I don't care and neither should anyone else. It's your car and only your opinion matters.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Actually, I like them. Must be especially nice for folks sitting in the back seat on a hot day.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Looks great and correct for those who did not have the funds to go AC in 1964...and for that rear seat lean back...it is the coolest thing ever! Just think how many more of those rear seat tops would have survived with those installed!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                  I don't care and neither should anyone else. It's your car and only your opinion matters.
                  Amen to that Jerry, that's my opinion exactly.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Dorky. And I always thought they were dorky, even when growing up as a 9 to 14 year old in the 50s. But I think at shows a lot of people would think they are a great period accessory. Bill, you only got my opinion because you asked.

Comment

I really like them! If my wagon ever sees the road, I would love a set in it
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I used to hate the look, but the practicality of them changed my mind. Years ago I passed on buying some for my 52 Starlight rear window. Later, I realized the blinds would have been a good addition. I even wondered how hard it would be to make some for my 2 door sedan.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Cool. No doubt about it.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Cool is my vote!
                            sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

I like them. Keep them because they're a practical and unique accessory.
                              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
                              X