PDA

View Full Version : Big Thank you and New Electrical issue, 51 Commander

lelshaddai
06-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Just want to shout out a big thank you to you guys. My 4 gauge cluster is back in the dash, fuel sender and gauge work and ammeter now works. Thanks for the ideas and help.

I do have a new issue. After getting the gauge in I went to start it for the first time in over a month. I have a voltmeter in the cigar lighter right now so I can watch the volts. When I went to start it the volts dropped to 8 and the starter would not engage. The starter solenoid would click. Turn the key off and the battery would recover. Nothing felt hot to the touch. I took all the cable off of the solenoid except the power wire from the battery and the power wire leading into the fuse block. Also the ign start wire was still connected. The power levels were fine when I turned the ign to start, the starter was not hooked up. One by one I returned the wires back and tried to start. Everything seemed normal. Eventually I hooked the starter wire up and the car stated up. I started a few more times and the started grinded a bit but did start the car. Then I tried again and the car volts dropped again. I took off the ground off of the battery and then placed it back on and it started just fine. Before I tear it down looking for possible problems. Sounds like it may be grounding, shorting, bad solenoid, starter problem. Looking for thoughts.

https://s19.postimg.cc/7n68a6b0j/54942553759__07A4456A-71B3-4102-A2C7-1ADFA144005F.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/n8nju4myn/)

TWChamp
06-06-2018, 03:05 AM
" I took off the ground off of the battery and then placed it back on and it started just fine. Before I tear it down looking for possible problems. Sounds like it may be grounding, shorting, bad solenoid, starter problem. Looking for thoughts."

Sounds like you found the problem with a bad connection on the battery ground post. Are you using an 8 volt battery?

If so, I'd sell it and buy a 6 volt battery. To charge an 8 volt battery you will have to crank up the voltage regulator to about 10 volts.

lelshaddai
06-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Sorry failed to mention, Previous owner converted it to 12 volts.

JimKB1MCV
06-06-2018, 01:45 PM
I think you may have answered your own question. Your 12v. (nominal) battery should have between 12.4 to 12.8 volts DC resting. If you show 8v. under starting load you might look at the battery connections again or the battery condition.
Good luck.

StudeRich
06-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Do you Now have a 4 Terminal/Wire Solenoid, 2 small and 2 LARGE?

This is needed for the Key Start 12 Volt System if that is what you have.

Also IS that "Start Wire" (+) or (-)?