PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent scam attempt on our club. Others be aware!!

Charlie D
06-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen:

As the treasurer of the North East Oklahoma Club I received an alleged request from our president to pay a bill. I did not think we had anything outstanding. The email address was chapterrpresident @ gmail.com. I thought maybe our president had changed his email address as it sounded like a pretty cool email address for the chapter president. I responded and received instructions on how to pay the bill but no copy of a bill. I also emailed our president to make sure this was a scam. He responded a few minutes ago that it was indeed not him requesting the payment. The following is most of the string of emails between the scammer and me. The string starts at the bottom and goes up.

Hi Charlie,

That is most certainly fraudulent! Someone is very innovative by looking at club websites for officer info. The scammers are getting smarter.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 10:19 AM
To: 'Mike Webb'
Subject: FW: Vendor Reimbursement Expenses

Mike,

I want to make sure this is fraud.

Charlie D.

Charlie , did you got the vendor info i sent ? let me know , thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Webb [mailto:chapterrpresident@gmail.com (chapterrpresident@gmail.com)]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 9:54 AM
To: Charles Musgrove
Subject: Re: Vendor Reimbursement Expenses

Charlie , Here is the details you need in mailing the check to the recipient , Please send Via USPS Express Mail Delivery or fed ex, and send me the tracking details when you are done , i will shoot you the invoice once i get back from my trip on Friday , please bear with me , thanks

Name Nora Ragan
Address ; PO Box 1356 Anadarko, OK 73005

Payment for: Administrative and Operating Expenses

Amount : $1,670.00

Payment Type:check

Mike Webb

Sent from my iPad

On 6/4/2018 9:43 AM, Charles Musgrove wrote:
> Mike Webb
Mike,

Let me know the amount. If you can scan and attach the invoice that would be great.

Charlie D.

Hi Charlie ,

I need you to take care of a vendor payment for me , I will provide you with the Vendor's information you need in making the payment. Let me know when you are ready to proceed ,I will appreciate swift response

Regards
Mike Webb

Sent from my iPad

creegster
06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Isnt that mail fraud? If so, I think you can report that to USPS

http://about.usps.com/publications/pub300a/pub300a_tech_024.htm

BobPalma
06-05-2018, 07:34 PM
;) If these scammers had a better command of the English language, they might be more successful. As it is, their texts are so stuttered and irregular they should fool no one.

Be sure to read the scam report in the June Turning Wheels involving the 1956 Golden Hawk. The "widow's" prose was horrible and all but screamed "scam!" by the time you stumbled through it. Easily identified as bogus. ;) :cool: BP

Lou Van Anne
06-05-2018, 07:50 PM
I'm the treasurer for the Karl Staple Chapter, Sacramento Valley CA. The same exact thing has happened to us....perhaps 6/7 times in the last year. They even used our presidents email address....but I smelled a rat....I did not respond in any fashion....just ignored them.

BobPalma
06-05-2018, 08:20 PM
:) Now that I think of it, guys; thanks for these warnings. Our local SDC Indy Chapter Treasurer has been at it for years but is not on the forum. I'm going to copy the link to this topic and e-mail it to him.

I might suggest others do likewise if your Chapter's Treasurer doesn't frequent the SDC Forum. ;) :cool: BP

BobPalma
06-06-2018, 05:47 AM
:ohmy: Post #5, above, proved to be a good idea. I forwarded this link/topic to our local INDY Chapter SDC Treasurer last evening.

This morning, he sent me an e-mail saying he had received such a request for a check from our "Chapter President" last week. He ignored it because he thought it was not from her...and indeed, it was not! :eek:

Be careful out there, Chapter Presidents and Treasurers. Alert your chapter's officers if you have not done so already. :!: Thanks. :cool: BP

Greenstude
06-06-2018, 08:38 AM
I am treasurer of another club. Shortly after it set up a website with the officers' names shown, I started getting this type of message frequently, allegedly from the president. When a new president took office, the scammers noted the change within a couple of weeks. Fortunately, I have learned quite a bit about loss prevention over the years. In addition to deleting the messages I also block the senders' e-mail addresses and where feasible, their server. Whenever any of our club officers get a suspicious e-mail, we are on the telephone to one or more of the others to check it out before replying or deleting. Similarly, we delete e-mails with suspicious attachments without opening them.

kurtruk
06-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Did you notice the extra "r" in "chapterrpresident"?

Green53
06-06-2018, 09:46 AM
This scam is all over here in Arizona. Several clubs here have had this same email

Denny L

jrlemke
06-06-2018, 09:48 AM
How about a code word to be included in messages requesting money to be changed on a regular basis? Just a thought!- Jim

Chris Pile
06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Our chapter president doesn't have a computer - let alone an email address. And getting our treasurer to answer her email or even her phone is like pulling teeth, so it's unlikely this scam would work with us.

Deaf Mute
06-06-2018, 02:22 PM
The Treasurer of the Big 6 River Bend Chapter got the same thing (supposedly from our Chapter President) twice. The second attempt was just the same as what Charlie reported. BEWARE!

StudeRich
06-06-2018, 02:45 PM
It would seem that the U.S. Postal Investigators could go after this: Nora Ragan
PO Box 1356 Anadarko, OK 73005 !!!!!!! :ohmy:

OR whomever the Real Owner of this P.O. Box is.

I have had a Mailbox Store owner 3 Miles from the Northern Border, tell me that the Postal Cops showed up at his PMB Store and waited for one of these Creeps from Canada (who of course are not REAL Canadian born Canadians) to come over the Border to pick up their Mail and arrested them! :!:

plee4139
06-07-2018, 04:39 AM
"Anadarko, OK" would be enough of a red flag for me. When I worked in a retail establishment which also sold mail order, I had to deal with some attempts to scam the store, but they were very clumsy and easy to spot.

JRoberts
06-07-2018, 05:16 AM
I forwarded this info to our chapter's (Eastern North Carolina Chapter) board of directors so they will know about it. Thanks for alerting us to this problem .

Chris Pile
06-07-2018, 08:15 AM
"Anadarko, OK" would be enough of a red flag for me.

And WTH is wrong with Anadarko, Oklahoma?

Chris Pile
06-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Still waiting for Peter Lee to explain himself...