Looking for 9" Stainless Flex Fuel Hose for 1950 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 9" Stainless Flex Fuel Hose for 1950 Commander

My 1950 Champion has a braided stainless fuel hose to the fuel pump, and I'd like to find the same thing for my 1950 Commander.

It's 9" long and has male and female inverted flare fittings, which I believe are size 5, if that's how they call out the size.

The female end is solid, while the male end into the fuel pump can spin. I couldn't find anything on ebay. Thanks, Tom

Braided Flex Fuel Hoses are a Standard Studebaker item in the Parts Catalogs and should also be at Studebaker Vendors.

Of course they have not been used since about 1957 on Studes. and all other makes probably earlier since they went to Barbed brass fittings and Rubber fuel Hose, so aftermarket sources will not work.

You CAN adapt it to modern Hose if it does not have to be a 400 Point Judged Car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You should be able to take the one off of your champion, and take it to a good hose shop for them to copy. They will have the braided stainless line, and whatever fittings you need.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Rich, are you saying the car originally came with a steel braided hose?
        I would have thought my rubber hose would have been stock.
        There is a local hose, bearing and seal store, and I'll give them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          Rich, are you saying the car originally came with a steel braided hose?
          I would have thought my rubber hose would have been stock.
          Of course I am, a '50 is WAY too Old for that to happen.

Pg. 39 (Commander) & 40, (Champion) of the Fuel Section of the '47-'50 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog shows a Pic. of the 308-4, Part Number 189888 "Coupling" Fuel Pump to Tank Line -Flexible.

It is listed on Pg. 185 of the S.I. Catalog, and available at Studebaker Vendors.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now, the question is, if I buy the hose from SI or some other Studebaker dealer, will it stand up to the corn crap gas?

Comment

Here is a map of known ethanol free gas stations in the U.S.
              You can click on it and use the scroll button on your mouse or whatever your computer uses to expand or contract the page.
              I used it and moved the screen to wisconsin from Minnesota then enlarged it to get to a point where it was town by town.
              It doesn't say where the stations are but if you are in a town with 2 convenience stores one will have it.
              Anyone driving to Tacoma could plan a route and plan good gas stops on the way.
              The info is out there to find good gas.
              It isn't rocket science.
              It may be more expensive but there is no excuse not to find good gas.
              Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

A hose shop should have one with a Teflon liner. Just to be sure, you would want to ask them about compatability.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I went to the local hose shop today, but they won't do brake or fuel lines. Sure seems like a big business loss to me.

Comment

I got mine from a local hose shop that also does a lot of commercial work.
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                      I went to the local hose shop today, but they won't do brake or fuel lines. Sure seems like a big business loss to me.
                      Usually, they won't do this for liability problems. "I had an accident because of the brake line you did for me!" Sometimes they will do it if you say that the hose is for some stationary engine or a little tractor that won't go on the road.
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X