PDA

View Full Version : How many remember the good old days at Standard Surplus

nels
06-03-2018, 09:31 AM
I’m sure you guys remember Avanti short blocks at $140, 4spd transmissions $150 or the full set of internals for $99, R1 carbs at $25, a table full of Paxton superchargers at $99.00, 160 speedos at $8, R1 and R2 side fender emblems at $1.25, engine chrome dress up kits at $9.98, Lark front fenders at $15.00, Hawk left front at $19, rear leaf springs at $8 and on and on and on. Boy were those the days. The trouble was I was still working at Burger Chef make $1.25 an hour and still in school.
I’m sure some of you remember other good deals.

TWChamp
06-03-2018, 09:41 AM
What years were these prices?

I only remember going to Newman Altman in the 70's and getting some real bargains, and wish I'd have bought much more.

thunderations
06-03-2018, 10:09 AM
I bought rolls of vinyl material for almost nothing in the early 60's, about 63 to redo the interior of my 39 Plymouth. We called it Studebaker Salvage. There was a huge Packard straight 8 long block setting near the door and I think the price was less then $300.
Having been born and raised in that area, Studebaker was South Bend and South Bend was Studebaker. As things wound down in 63 and after "Black Friday", everything Studebaker was a bargain.
New Studebakers, including Avanti's were dirt cheap, even though as a high school student I couldn't afford one. I did buy an executive driven 62 Daytona 2 Dr Hardtop in 65 from Newman Altman for $700 and my 61 Corvair. Even though car/truck production was halted in South Bend, many of the operations continued to feed the Hamilton plant, so there was activity going on, just not cars coming off the lines.
Studebaker Salvage was still open and parts and products were almost given away. Gallons of paint were $2 or $3 dollars and Avanti items were very cheap. I remember the dress up kits were less then $10 dollars and my Dad wouldn't let me spend that much money for something that didn't make the car run better or fix a problem.

raprice
06-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I remember when it was Newman & Altman. Back in '97, during the Nat'l Meet, my wife and I visited the place, and believe it or not, I actually was able to acquire some chrome belt molding for my Lark. Everything was very reasonable then.
One other thing. I saw a brand new Champion engine in a crate on the floor of the showroom. Someone got a brand new engine from them.
My major regret is that I should have bought a lot more at the time.
Rog

PackardV8
06-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Yes, but Studebakers and parts have never really appreciated in value. if one had invested $1,000 in Walmart at the same time, the $10,000,000 it would be worth today would buy a lot of Studebaker parts.

jack vines

06-03-2018, 11:14 AM
I’m sure you guys remember Avanti short blocks at $140, 4spd transmissions $150 or the full set of internals for $99, R1 carbs at $25, a table full of Paxton superchargers at $99.00, 160 speedos at $8, R1 and R2 side fender emblems at $1.25, engine chrome dress up kits at $9.98, Lark front fenders at $15.00, Hawk left front at $19, rear leaf springs at $8 and on and on and on. Boy were those the days. The trouble was I was still working at Burger Chef make $1.25 an hour and still in school.
I bought quite a few things in the several times I was through South Bend, but I have trouble remembering what. I do remember buying a certified 160 speedometer- used that in my R-1 Powershift '64 Champ until a knee smashed it in a collision. I did buy a pair of long-bed side panels and a couple other bed pieces. I remember the crates of engines stacked up there, but I couldn't haul one on my Wagonaire and I didn't really need one either. I got a '53-'54 Commander dry air cleaner complete with the element for something like $4.98. I do remember buying several sets of '66 full wheel covers for $9.98 a set and probably a couple sets of '64-'65 full covers for the same price. I still have a late model four barrel air cleaner still in the box, but I don't remember the price. Denny kind of aggravated me one time when I asked him for a set of upholstery pieces for my Wagonaire and he told me he didn't have them even though I knew they were there.
Ah, for the good old days...

swvalcon
06-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Like everything else. if you add what that same money would bring today even if invested in US bonds and take into account the cost to store everything parts would not have been a good investment.

Gunslinger
06-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I remember buying original Turquoise vinyl for the '63 Avanti I owned for $10/yard.

Stu Chapman
06-03-2018, 12:03 PM
So many memories, I don't know where to begin. My first trip there was in 1977.

Stu Chapman

DEEPNHOCK
06-03-2018, 01:37 PM
I remember climbing through each floor and looking at soooooo much old stuff...

GrumpyOne
06-03-2018, 02:16 PM
I was like a kid in a candy store without a whole lot of money but still, a hundred bux bought a set of new 259 pistons for a buck apiece, Avanti R-1 air cleaner was $5, new Avanti rear springs were cheap but I forget how much I paid etc. Add to this, a trip to SASCO was just a hop and a skip away for stuff that Studebaker was still supporting parts-wise.

The cherry on top of the sundae was Hurwich Iron where NOS 259/289 crankshafts were $10 each. All this was in September of 1971.

Wish that I had $10K and adequate storage to sell it off these days...

Skip Lackie
06-03-2018, 03:15 PM
I remember climbing through each floor and looking at soooooo much old stuff...

Like Jeff, some of my happiest memories are of exploring N&A. On a couple of occasions in the 1970s, Dennis allowed me access to the upper floors for a whole week. I wore a miner's lamp and would peer into each bin and bring what I wanted downstairs and put it in a pile. Would settle up at on Friday afternoon and celebrate with beer and pizza. Still have a few unopened boxes 40 years later.

StudeRich
06-03-2018, 04:51 PM
I guess the only trip to South Bend that can top my several trips to the Old Newman & Altman Standard Surplus, and the Newer SASCO Moved to the Engineering Building, would be my 1966 Trip to the Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. Plant EIGHT Warehouse.

While there, the Parts Counter man took my Cousin and I on a Tour of the HUGE World Wide Warehouse where we saw the Corp. Collection of Vehicles, the Brooks Stevens Prototypes, The Cab Forward Pickup Prototype and were offered a New R1 Avanti Engine complete Fan to Converter and Housing, Carb. Alternator, A/C Compressor, off of the Avanti Line for an unfinished Avanti for $500.00!

Could I afford to buy it and Haul it in my '57 Parkview Wagon to Los Angles at 23, and about to be married? NO WAY! :(

studegary
06-03-2018, 07:22 PM
I visited there (SS) many times in the 1970s and only bought what I needed. One trip was in my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire (that came home with four fenders [not from SS] in the back, plus other things). The other trips were in my 1953 Commander Starliner (not much spare room to carry things). One trip it did haul back (in place of one rear seat cushion), not from SS, a solid steel 1953 Starliner stantion that held up my mail box for about 25 years. The restoration shop that I was working in did send out a truck and trailer once in the 1970s and came back loaded with parts for cars that we were working on. To me, the bigger buys were at Hurwich Iron and from the ex-employees that came around to the host hotels at around midnight with a lot of NOS (carb's., chrome trim, etc.) that they walked out of Studebaker with.

2R2
06-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I've posted these before, but here are a few scans from pages of the first Newman Altman catalog.7295072951729527295372954

stupak
06-03-2018, 08:02 PM
In 1968, they had the chrome STUDEBAKER script for the rear of the Avanti for .25 cents each. I splurged and bought 8 for $2.00. The last of the big time spenders. Of course, there were other great bargains I got but can't remember all the details. Over the next few years, over the winter months, I bought a lot of stuff for the Avanti, much of which I still have today. stupak

Lark8girl
06-03-2018, 08:05 PM
I began making yearly trips to Standard Parts and the Studebaker Factory since 1970. There was many new frames sitting outside, wooden boxes and, Machine tools and by the back door three new Studebaker bodies that were left outside. They had pushed fenders out the third floor window that pile reached the second floor. In my mind there was enough to build Studebakers for another decade. I liked that the employees all drove their Studebakers to work. Also for many years as one drove around the streets of South Bend there were still Studebakers being driven daily. Over time the Studebakers count went down and they were seen resting in the back and side yards of homes around town until even those disappeared.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Metman
06-04-2018, 06:47 PM
2R2- Thanks for posting that! I purchased one of those $35.00 "53-64 Hawk and Coupe" NOS front fenders (have it in my garage) as well as two NOS rear fenders for $25.00 each! The rears are currently on my car. Should have bought more stuff back then. If I'd only knew... Ha!

Guido
06-04-2018, 09:33 PM
My one regret is not buying the Studebaker tailgate lettering jig that Dennis had sitting on the floor of the Engineering building. By the time I talked myself into purchasing it someone had bought it.

DieselJim
06-05-2018, 05:59 AM
I went to Standard Surplus when it was in a small building on Sample at Olive. Remember the BIG Packard PT boat engine there. And boxes of the 53 dash clusters. That would been in '59.

Dwight FitzSimons
06-05-2018, 07:02 AM
I remember Standard Surplus. I recall buying (for a couple dollars in early 1970s) a mechanical tachometer for a '53-54 Studebaker. It appeared to have a silk-screened face, but looked production-quality. I assume that it was nothing more than a speedometer recalibrated as a tach. I also assume that there was no such option on the '53-54s. So, it must have been an Engineering Dept. prototype.
-Dwight

studegary
06-05-2018, 08:07 PM
I remember Standard Surplus. I recall buying (for a couple dollars in early 1970s) a mechanical tachometer for a '53-54 Studebaker. It appeared to have a silk-screened face, but looked production-quality. I assume that it was nothing more than a speedometer recalibrated as a tach. I also assume that there was no such option on the '53-54s. So, it must have been an Engineering Dept. prototype.
-Dwight

I believe that those tachometers were for marine/boat applications.

nels
06-05-2018, 09:30 PM
I believe that those tachometers were for marine/boat applications.

I think you are right. I still have one up in the attic somewhere. I bought it for a novelty.

BobPalma
06-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I went to Standard Surplus when it was in a small building on Sample at Olive. Remember the BIG Packard PT boat engine there. And boxes of the 53 dash clusters. That would been in '59.

:!: You bet, Jim.

This one sold for circa $41,300 with Buyer's Premium at the 2018 Mecum Indianapolis auction earlier in May! :ohmy: (Click to enlarge) :cool: BP

Green53
06-06-2018, 09:54 AM
I bought 4 fenders for my 57 GoldenHawk. They shipped them in Snow Pony boxes. All the neighborhood kids thought that I had purchased snowmobiles. I also bought bushings and lens that came in handy later. For cheap.

Denny L

Pop's Chariot
06-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Anyone have one of the "dune Buggy" remote air filters for sale? Once known as an R2 filter.
I could use one

DieselJim
06-07-2018, 11:31 AM
:!: You bet, Jim.

This one sold for circa $41,300 with Buyer's Premium at the 2018 Mecum Indianapolis auction earlier in May! :ohmy: (Click to enlarge) :cool: BP

73041There were 2 more laying on the ground at Super Auto Salvage on south Main St. in '59. No doubt were scraped.

2R2
06-08-2018, 11:48 AM
I think you are right. I still have one up in the attic somewhere. I bought it for a novelty.

Are you thinking of this? It appears Standard Surplus was selling left over '54 gauge clusters with the option of a mechanical tach, advertised in Hot Rod magazine back in 1959.

62champ
06-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Are you thinking of this? It appears Standard Surplus was selling left over '54 gauge clusters with the option of a mechanical tach, advertised in Hot Rod magazine back in 1959.

Wonder if any of those Standard Surplus 1959 catalogs survived? Would make for a good thumbing-through.

Hawklover
11-18-2018, 09:46 PM
I visited there (SS) many times in the 1970s and only bought what I needed. One trip was in my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire (that came home with four fenders [not from SS] in the back, plus other things). The other trips were in my 1953 Commander Starliner (not much spare room to carry things). One trip it did haul back (in place of one rear seat cushion), not from SS, a solid steel 1953 Starliner stantion that held up my mail box for about 25 years. The restoration shop that I was working in did send out a truck and trailer once in the 1970s and came back loaded with parts for cars that we were working on. To me, the bigger buys were at Hurwich Iron and from the ex-employees that came around to the host hotels at around midnight with a lot of NOS (carb's., chrome trim, etc.) that they walked out of Studebaker with.

Midnight Auto Sales.....South Bend variety!!!

Hawklover
11-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Of a sad note....back around 1977-8 Trojan Service Center in Miami Florida (Richard Dahl) sold out the operation to a group of young mechanics.
Now understand Trojan worked on all cars, not only Studes.....by 1980-1 the operation was no more....the young turks claimed they could not make a living....and proceeded to dump all the spare parts in a dumpster and collect whatever was the smelt value at the time......I actually cried:-(

DEEPNHOCK
11-19-2018, 05:23 AM
Fun thread to read....

jimmijim8
11-19-2018, 07:30 AM
1977 Mail order remote control antennae for 59 Lark. N&A price 17.00 jimmijim

Deaf Mute
11-19-2018, 12:08 PM
I also paid $17.00 for my crank up antenna, and do not remember what I paid for all the gages and switches I needed for my 1953 Commander Starlight. They sat on my shelf for many years before I got to the point to install them in my car.

GrumpyOne
11-19-2018, 12:19 PM

I went there for the first time when I was a "copilot" of a friend's Avanti and I loaded up with:

Set of 259 pistons, $1 each; Avanti Aircleaner $5; two NOS Avanti rear springs at $25 each; one each... 259 & 289 heads @ $10 each and numerous other goodies. Everything was was pretty cheap well into the early 1980's.

The good old days indeed!

studegary
11-19-2018, 07:42 PM
There were some people that bought up a lot of this NOS from Hurwich and SS and then later sold it at a substantial profit. Some may still be selling some of this stock. I only bought what I needed for current projects. I did buy a NOS WCFB for $20 that I did not use as planned, so after a few years I sold it to another SDCer for $20.

Bob Bryant
11-19-2018, 08:02 PM
I bought some air shocks for my station wagon at SASCO. A friend said her son had a summer job at a salvage yard that included chopping up Studebaker bumpers. It was fun just to walk through the place.

studegary
11-19-2018, 08:29 PM
I bought some air shocks for my station wagon at SASCO. A friend said her son had a summer job at a salvage yard that included chopping up Studebaker bumpers. It was fun just to walk through the place.

I also purchased NOS air shocks at SS/SASCO that I installed on my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire.

StudeNorm
11-19-2018, 10:38 PM
Standard Surplus. Been a long time since I heard that name... I probably still have a few old receipts from them somewhere in my "files"...

Hawklover
11-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Should be cathartic for you Jeff;-)
Fun thread to read....

wittsend
11-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Fun thread to read....

40 posts and no one has even "set someone straight" about locations, who actually ran what, prices, what was really there or even asked to see a receipt to prove the buyer was actually there and paid the said price. It is the "Kinder, Gentler" SDC Forum George H. Bush always dreamed of. :D

studefan
11-21-2018, 06:22 PM
wittsend, are you implying that the 40 posts might be fabricated and untrue?

57pack
11-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Worked with Dennis Lambert on interior parts for my 1963 Daytona Wagonaire. Took a while to locate all the panels and carpet bits. Can’t remember what he charged me but it wasn’t very much for a complete NOS interior!

DieselJim
11-21-2018, 09:04 PM
40 posts and no one has even "set someone straight" about locations, who actually ran what, prices, what was really there or even asked to see a receipt to prove the buyer was actually there and paid the said price. It is the "Kinder, Gentler" SDC Forum George H. Bush always dreamed of. :DI will try. Standard Surplus was Newman & Altman business. Originally on West Sample Street in the 2200 block just before Olive Street. Studebaker Salvage was in the building that became Standard Surplus after Studebaker shut down. Was in both stores many times.

ed ellis
11-22-2018, 06:12 AM
Pop's Chariot, I think I have what you need. Check for a private message

Skip Lackie
11-22-2018, 10:16 AM
40 posts and no one has even "set someone straight" about locations, who actually ran what, prices, what was really there or even asked to see a receipt to prove the buyer was actually there and paid the said price. It is the "Kinder, Gentler" SDC Forum George H. Bush always dreamed of. :D

Agree with Studefan. Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone care what I paid for a floor mat in 1977? N&A was, after all, a SURPLUS outlet -- and even if it weren't, we all know that their prices were cheaper than today's.

8E45E
11-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone care what I paid for a floor mat in 1977?

A CASO might! One of those will offer you a nickel more than what you paid for it in 1977!!

Craig

TWChamp
11-22-2018, 01:34 PM
It's fun to remember and live in the past. After all, that's why we buy and drive Studebakers.

Well maybe we buy and drive Studebakers because the design and quality is better than anything made today.

wittsend
11-22-2018, 11:55 PM
wittsend, are you implying that the 40 posts might be fabricated and untrue?

No, I was simply trying to be whimsical in pointing out the the decorum of the 40 posts hadn't run off into an argument like I have seen before. In a, "well, this is a surpise to see" way I intended it to be complimentary. And just for the record, no, my mention of G.H. Bush was not trying to be political either (just in case anyone was wondering).

mike cenit
11-23-2018, 10:58 AM
In the mid 70"s I bought a bunch of body parts (hood, tail gate etc) for my 57 Transtar. It was cheaper to buy new parts from them than to bondo and repair the old parts, Nate
told me he had enough truck parts in the building to go back in production.

studegary
11-23-2018, 04:14 PM
In the mid 70"s I bought a bunch of body parts (hood, tail gate etc) for my 57 Transtar. It was cheaper to buy new parts from them than to bondo and repair the old parts, Nate
told me he had enough truck parts in the building to go back in production.

They threw a lot of truck parts, primarily sheet metal, out of the upper windows and scrapped the parts. They figured that no one was going to want to restore a truck.

53starliner
11-26-2018, 08:21 PM
My first visit there was in '77. Drove up from the Cincinnati meet. It was quiet there, and I spent some time with Geoff Newman. He found the NOS seat upholstery I needed for my '62 Convertible. I drove home very happy.

Hawklover
11-26-2018, 08:52 PM
In 1967 during the gas "wars" in Miami I was paying 23.9 for reg gas:-)
A CASO might! One of those will offer you a nickel more than what you paid for it in 1977!!

Craig

Hawklover
11-26-2018, 08:54 PM
"Do you miss me now?"....yes Geo we do LOL
No, I was simply trying to be whimsical in pointing out the the decorum of the 40 posts hadn't run off into an argument like I have seen before. In a, "well, this is a surpise to see" way I intended it to be complimentary. And just for the record, no, my mention of G.H. Bush was not trying to be political either (just in case anyone was wondering).

Hawklover
11-26-2018, 08:55 PM
How about Stu-V products???

Hawklover
11-26-2018, 09:04 PM
LOL big time every time I read your comment Jeff;-)
Fun thread to read....