PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Hawk GT 1962 master cylinder upgrade

MontrealHawkGT62
06-02-2018, 08:23 PM
I recently bought a 62 Hawk GT and last Friday I removed the wheels , drums and inspected the brakes. Now the wheels cylinders are either leaking, seized of have dried out rubber boots. So I will change all of them. Someone replied to my previous post here, by suggesting I should also change the master cylinder, because chances are it is pretty much in the same sorry state as the wheel cylinders, which really makes sense. So I will also change that one. But someone also suggested I should upgrade to a dual master cylinder. Now the question I want to ask the forum is the following: Is replacing the stock master cylinder by a dual one a bolt on job? Or will I need to fit things, fabricate parts, brackets, change brake lines etc ? Also, I'd be interested to know what dual master cylinder I should buy. Thanks again in advance for all your great input!

jimmijim8
06-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Get with Jim Turner of Turner Brake. He has everything you need. cheers jimmijim

bensherb
06-03-2018, 03:04 AM
http://www.turnerbrake.com/mcbrackets.html

thunderations
06-03-2018, 10:20 AM
The only parts you need to fabricate are the new steel brake lines needed to separate the front and rear brake lines to accomplish the dual braking system. It's really pretty simple. I think everything else is a simple bolt on. There may be some adjustments for brake pedal arms and such, but no major modifications that I know of..

jimmijim8
06-04-2018, 02:39 PM
That is whys'come get ahold of Jim Turner. He is good at working with those that aren't overly qualified when it comes to our braking problems.
cheers jimmijim

wh22366
06-04-2018, 03:07 PM
The only quirk I found bolting in the Turner-supplied dual master in my Hawk was the need to install the bracket and master as a loose assembly and then tighten it all up. There isn't room to do the bracket first and then mount the master.
You'll need to make up brake lines to plumb it all and it's a good time to consider replacing any remaining steel lines and all three rubber brake lines. I hadn't used copper-nickel brake line before and found it easy to bend and flare.