Studebaker in new book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker in new book

A 1953 Studebaker Commander is the car of choice for a newly minted congressman in the book "The Hellfire Club" by Jake Tapper. The setting is 1954 Washington, DC. The only glaring error in the book, so far, is a scene described with a Mustang convertible. About 10 years early unless there was such a car then.
    Last edited by rbruner; 06-02-2018, 08:07 AM.

A '54 Mustang? Rare indeed!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Ain't reading nothing by Jake Tapper. But I'm sure he as no clue the 1st Mustangs were in '64. :-)
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
        A 1953 Studebaker Commander is the car of choice for a newly minted congressman in the book "The Hellfire Club" by Jake Tapper. The setting is 1954 Washington, DC. The only glaring error in the book, so far, is a scene described with a Mustang convertible. About 10 years early unless there was such a car then.
        New '65 Mustang shown to the general public for the first time on April 17, 1964 at the NY World's Fair. Went on sale nationwide on April 23, 1964.

Even though introduced in April 1964, FoMoCo called them 1965's from day one.

In one of Clive Cussler's 'Dirk Pitt' novels, he described a Taurus as having RWD (rear wheel drive). Several years later, while at one of his book signings, I pointed this out...because all had FWD

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
          Ain't reading nothing by Jake Tapper. But I'm sure he as no clue the 1st Mustangs were in '64. :-)
          I've never read him, but this is what editors and fact-checkers are supposed to do.
          peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
            A '54 Mustang? Rare indeed!
            Craig can probably clarify, but I think White Motor Company was producing the Mustang truck in 1955, perhaps before.

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
              You certainly would not want to challenge yourself with any new ideas that did not conform to your preconceived view of the world. This is exactly what is wrong with the world today...
              Last edited by Guido; 06-03-2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                You certainly would not want to challenge yourself with any new ideas that did not conform to your narrow view of the world. This is exactly what is wrong with the world today...
                Ok now boys, let's play nicely.
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                  Ok now boys, let's play nicely.
                  Live is about learning, that is difficult to achieve if you are unwiiling to consider new or opposing viewpoints. Just because you may not agree with someone's ideology, that does not mean that their views are invalid or untrue or unworthy of discussion.
                  Last edited by Guido; 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I've never read him, but this is what editors and fact-checkers are supposed to do.
                    Yeeahhh, rriiighhht! That's why so many newspapers, magazines, websites, books, and even newscasts are rife with misspellings, bad grammar, and incorrect information.

Case in point: Just finished reading, "Build the Perfect Beast" (it's about designing and building a concept car), written by Mark Christensen (author of multiple books and magazine articles for the last 30 years).

In the first chapter alone, I counted 10 misspelled words. The author claimed the car in "On the Road Again" by Jack Kerouac was a Hudson Hornet (it was a 1952 Studebaker Starlight Coupe). Later on, he wrote about "Nacca ducts" (it's NACA ducts), and spelled Northrop with a "u". In the final chapter I found 5 misspelled words on one page alone! Any idiot should have noticed these problems.

Where was his editor? This book won several awards... Why in the world with all the mistakes in it?
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Mustang was motorcycle builder back in that era...hardly a convertible though.

Comment

You're so right. Words cannot express how little your opinion means to me.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                        You certainly would not want to challenge yourself with any new ideas that did not conform to your preconceived view of the world. This is exactly what is wrong with the world today...
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                          New '65 Mustang shown to the general public for the first time on April 17, 1964 at the NY World's Fair. Went on sale nationwide on April 23, 1964.

Even though introduced in April 1964, FoMoCo called them 1965's from day one.

In one of Clive Cussler's 'Dirk Pitt' novels, he described a Taurus as having RWD (rear wheel drive). Several years later, while at one of his book signings, I pointed this out...because all had FWD
                          Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for being on my side in stating that the first Ford Mustangs were 1965 models. I do understand why some refer to the early build models as 1964.5 models to differentiate the build differences, but they are still 1965 Fords. I was at the World's Fair where they were introduced. It doesn't seem like so long ago .

There are other Mustangs besides Fords, but it is probably just an error in the book.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X