PDA

View Full Version : Body: Body SHOP manual

Colgate Studebaker
06-01-2018, 05:43 AM
I may be missing something or not, but is there an actual BODY SHOP MANUAL for the GT Hawks? I have the Body Parts Manual but have not seen a shop manual. I've seen comments referring to a Body Shop (or assembly) manual and if they are available, who has them for sale? Bill

christophe
06-01-2018, 05:50 AM
You'll find in the body section of the 59-64 Shop Manual (available on CD or paper through most vendors) some sections referring exclusively to the GT Hawks.
Nice day to all.

55 56 PREZ 4D
06-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Try to find an original Shop Manual.
There are reprints available but the photos are dark and blurred.
Details you may need to see aren't there.
A Chassis Manual also provides much info.

Skip Lackie
06-02-2018, 07:18 AM
As Christophe said, there is an extensive body section in the 59-64 shop manual. Originals come up on ebay all the time at various prices. Reprints are available from many vendors.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

rkapteyn
06-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Like mentioned above.
The reprints are not very helpful because the pictures are blurred.
When you find one on eBay make sure it is an original.
There are also service letters and service bulletins for early GT.Hawks.
http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/service_publications/service_publications.htm

Skip Lackie
06-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Here is what appears to be an original copy (not mine). Should confirm that before purchase.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-STUDEBAKER-SHOP-MANUAL/153019779776?hash=item23a0b08ac0:g:HMAAAOSwSK1a9z3p:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvel ope!21788!US!-1

Colgate Studebaker
06-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys, I have an original shop manual which has the body section, however I have seen references to an actual "body shop manual" self inclusive and I'm wondering if there is in reality a specific "BODY SHOP MANUAL". It sounds like those references were to the shop manual and it's body section. There are certain body assembly procedures that the body section does not address that I was hoping would be in an actual "BODY SHOP MANUAL". I'll keep my hopes up, but I don't have a lot of confidence. Thanks again guys, Bill.

mbstude
06-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys, I have an original shop manual which has the body section, however I have seen references to an actual "body shop manual" self inclusive and I'm wondering if there is in reality a specific "BODY SHOP MANUAL". It sounds like those references were to the shop manual and it's body section. There are certain body assembly procedures that the body section does not address that I was hoping would be in an actual "BODY SHOP MANUAL". I'll keep my hopes up, but I don't have a lot of confidence. Thanks again guys, Bill.

Hey Bill, there's only 3 factory books. Chassis Parts Catalog, Body Parts Catalog, and Shop Manual.

BTW.. Those are you who are saying the reprinted manuals are "blurry", likely haven't seen a new one lately. There's nothing wrong with the current reprints that are available.

Colgate Studebaker
06-02-2018, 10:15 AM
There's the definitive answer, thanks Matt! It would be nice to have a more in depth manual for putting these body's together. We need someone to do a "what's not in the shop manual" manual sort of like the Avanti one by Mr. Grundy. Hey Matt, you're good with words, want to give it a try? Thanks, Bill.

55 56 PREZ 4D
06-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Hey Bill, there's only 3 factory books. Chassis Parts Catalog, Body Parts Catalog, and Shop Manual.

BTW.. Those are you who are saying the reprinted manuals are "blurry", likely haven't seen a new one lately. There's nothing wrong with the current reprints that are available.

Reprints of the Chassis or Body Catalogs that I've seen have clear enough illustrations.
If your buying a reprint Shop Manual from ebay or even from a Studebaker vendor, how do you know if you are getting an older blurred or a new clear version ?

sweetolbob
06-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Reprints of the Chassis or Body Catalogs that I've seen have clear enough illustrations.
If your buying a reprint Shop Manual from ebay or even from a Studebaker vendor, how do you know if you are getting an older blurred or a new clear version ?

If I were shopping Ebay I'd have the seller take a couple of pix of some pages. If he wouldn't, I'll bet they are blurred. Just ask on the forum for a couple of pages known to be a problem and request them. I'd ask the vendors the same question, what do pages ? and ? look like, you shouldn't need a picture from them.

Bob

tsenecal
06-03-2018, 08:40 AM
The body parts book that I got from SI, is as clear as my original shop manual. The price was equivalent to most of the ones on flea bay.

Swifster
06-04-2018, 07:48 PM
If you are looking for a GM type assembly manual, there isn't one for Studebaker (or most other brands).