Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, new Studebaker owner!

Hi all,
    After having many vintage cars, I have purchased a 1923 Studebaker Big 6 (I think!)
    I'm an Irishman living in Germany,
    I do have a number of questions that I hope some of the experts here will answer for me.
    While the paper work says its a Big 6, are there any particular details that will identify it as a Big 6?
    Many thanks,
    Pat Feeney.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Pat.

I think the first clue would be the Engine; size, shape and Engine Serial Number, other than the Body Design.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi,
      May thanks for your kind words and reply.
      Here are some pics of the engine, I will get the serial number tomorrow.
      'Special' is marked on the cylinder head, would this indicate that this is a 'Special' model rather than a 'Big 6 (EK)'?
      Pat.
      Attached Files

Comment

Probably just a Lower Compression Head for Export use and Low Octane Fuel, but a 1930's and '40's "Expert" will have to help you with 100% Correct Details, as I am not into Pre 1954 Studes.

That head does say: Casting number 39001 and -3, = probably 3rd. Shift or maybe Mold #3.
        Also 12/15/1922 Cast Date, so I don't think it is an Aftermarket Head.

There is also an Antique Studebaker Club as well as our Club.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Possibly behind the left front wheel is the serial number plate for the chassis. There may be a body number plate on the firewall (engine side) to identify the body and of course there should be a stamped, not cast, number for the engine.

Comment

Hi Pat, and welcome to the Forum! I hope you enjoy your Studebaker as much as I do mine. There's s pretty active European Studebaker community. You can find more info on a local chapter here http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/zonecontacts.asp
            I'm sure more pre-war experts will be chiming in soon. But again, welcome aboard and happy Studebakering!
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The car is a Special Six not a Big Six. Totally different body design and the engine is smaller. 353.8 c.i. in the Big Six vs. 289 c.i. on the Special. Difference is in the bore, 3/8" smaller in the Special. Have tons of data incl. owners manual, shop manual, oiling (lube) chart, advertising material, original factory photos etc, etc. Too much to list.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

What is the history of the car?

Comment

In a separate thread, Pat is asking to identify the carburetor and locate the adjustments. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...and-adjustment
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

What make is this?

Thank you for the mention, the carb is running seriously rich, I am trying to identify it and how to adjust the mixture.
                    Attached Files

Comment

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kstudebaker.htm

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Assuming you have the original Stromberg carb you need to turn the high speed adjusting screw down, i.e. clockwise to make it run leaner.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hello and welcome to the SDC Forum.
                          Where do you live in Germany?
                          I'm from Hamburg.

Martin

Comment

I bought the car from a dealer in Atlanta (it comes from Tulsa originally) d, he had it advertised as a Big 6 and the title shows it as a Big 6. To be honest, it does not worry me, its a good car with lots of work done on it.

I bought it to replace my Packard and Model t, I loved both of these, but space dictated the one must go. The compromise was a big, open tourer, so that is where the Studebaker comes in.

I am living near Einbeck, home to a glorious car collection, lots of meetings and runs around here, so really looking forward to it!

Regards,
                            Pat.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Martin,
                            I'm living in Eschershausen, 37632.
                            Pat.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                              What is the history of the car?
                              Not much history, will look at the paperwork when German customs return them to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X