PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Overdrive On Fritz

Joe Tondu
05-31-2018, 12:17 PM
1950 Champion
3 Speed

After reinstalling the trans from a clutch replacement overdrive is not kicking in. I checked all the electrical connections and made sure the fuse was good. It will go into freewheel with the cable pushed IN. But will not drop into OD. I noticed n the bench that the shifting of gears didn't manipulate that OD lever. What am I missing? I didn't touch anything internal. Thanks in advance.

Dwain G.
05-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Very likely the cable adjustment didn't get set right when reassembling. Push O/D cable in, then pull out about 1/8th". Under car, loosen clamp at O/D lever and push lever tight against the stop. Tighten clamp and test drive.

jclary
05-31-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm not claiming to be an expert by any standards, but here's my 2 cents. Jack the rear up, place jack stands under the rear axles to keep the wheels off the ground. With the overdrive cable pushed all the way in, Crawl back under the car and loosen the cable retention screw at the overdrive lever. Then see if you can move the lever back as far as it will go. Tighten the screw at that point. It could be that the lever is not back far enough to allow the electrical connection for completing the overdrive governor contact from completing the circuit. If that's the case, you should be able to run the car while still on jack stands and test it without having to drive it down the road. Once the car is started in high gear (wheels off the ground) and reaches governor speed (25-30mph), you should be able to hear an audible click when the governor kicks in, lift the gas, solenoid kicks into overdrive, and wheel speed increases as rpm decreases.:)

Might not cure your problem, but if it does, then consider yourself lucky.;)

Joe Tondu
06-01-2018, 09:22 AM
I will try this. Probably a cable adjustment. Didn’t think this was so finicky. I’ll let you all know if I am successful

rkapteyn
06-02-2018, 10:07 AM
For testing you can bypass all the switches ,governor, overdrive relay reverse lockout switch and just put 6 volt on the solenoid to see if it goes in overdrive.
This is for testing only , do not leave the 6 volt jumper in.
Do this with the car on jack stands.
Make sure you do not shift in reverse because that may tear your overdrive up.

56PHawk
06-02-2018, 12:44 PM
I am relying on memory......uh-oh.....but it seems I had a similar problem once and I think I found it was a wiring problem. I had the leads reversed. Again, relying on mammary. :cool: