wiper motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiper motor question

My 51 Champion has been converted to 12V neg. ground (for a number of reasons, which I won't go into!). Currently, I don't have windshield wipers because my wiper motor is a 6V motor. Is there any way to use this, or should I look for a later motor that would fit the mounting?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

I think all '56-'59 12V Wiper Motors have that triangular mounting base and fit, but I never have tried running one backwards, it might work.
    Parking may be a problem, if they park straight up!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Anybody tried those reducers that Painless sells for 6V motors used in 12V circuits? Curious if they work.

Comment

If the '51 motor is the same as a '55, a 56 motor is a drop in.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The '51 motor is single speed, if that makes a difference. Is a two-speed motor dependent on the motor, or a resistor in a two-speed switch?

I'm sure Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts can help your motor work on 12-volt. He has Runtz reducers for $18.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Studebaker wiper motors are all series-wound DC motors, and they don't care about polarity. They will run the right direction, even on AC. If a '56 motor will physically fit in there, it will work.

The existing 6 volt motor will run on 12 volts, but it will probably run too fast, and not park properly, because it will coast past the dead spot on the parking cam.

I would suggest simply getting a large voltage-dropping resistor, often sold as "Volt-A-Drop" (big hunk of porcelain with several terminals), and use that to reduce the speed of the existing motor. What you will need should be in the range of 0.5 to 1.5 ohms, and rated at 30 watts or more. A heater fan resistor out of a GM car "might" come close.

You could also add an interval wiper control, to get the slow speed effect.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks, I'll try a resistor. With as little rain we get out here, this is not an urgent item, however I just thought it would be nice to have operable wipers just in case.

Comment

I converted my (ex)52 Commander to 12 volts, and I installed a wiper out of a '59 Lark- it bolted right in. I used the '52 single speed switch, because I couldn't find a 2 speed switch to fit in the dash. I re-worked the switch so it interrupted the power lead, rather than the ground.(Pos. ground vs. neg ground)

Comment

My uncle's '51 Starlight has been converted to 12V, and we put a wiper motor from a '56 Golden Hawk in it, and it works ok. You should see how fast people want us to open the hood when we tell 'em that the car has a Golden Hawk motor in it. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I have a 2-speed wiper switch in my '55 coupe; it works fine with the 12V motor that I installed. Possibly that switch would work in your application?

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                      You should see how fast people want us to open the hood when we tell 'em that the car has a Golden Hawk motor in it. [)]

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Paul,

You could bring the motor to an electromechanical shop and have it re-wound
                        for 12 volts , negative ground. I did this for my son's 50 Dodge Woodie after he converted
                        the 6 volt system. Wasn't cheap but twas guaranteed to work and avoided a lot of
                        searching for a special part of a rare (three left) car.
                        ...Dick
                        The 1950 Champion Starlight
                        Santa Barbara
                        CA

Comment

I have a 1950 Champion with vacuum-operated wipers. Would the 1951 and later electric wiper motors fit without building an adapter bracket? Would I have any problems fitting a switch in the hole for the vacuum valve switch?

1950 Champion
                          Holdrege NE
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

I purchased a 12v. motor and kit from New Port Engineering in Washington, MO. for my 49 pickup. The motor bolted right in and worked perfectly. They list several Studebaker cars and trucks from the era......

Brian K. Curtis,
                            1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
                            1949 1/2 ton pickup
                            1963 GT Hawk custom
                            1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Brian
                              Thanks for the lead on the replacement wiper motor. I have been mulling over whether to convert to 12 volts. Since these motors are 12 volt, thats another reason to make that change. It looks like a good solution.

1950 Champion
                              Holdrege NE
                              John
                              1950 Champion
                              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                              X