PDA

View Full Version : EBAY question, am I right to be upset?

markansas859
02-04-2008, 09:44 AM
A friend was wanting a car on Ebay, she asked my opinion, and asked for help since she was not an EBAY member. I sent a email, to the seller (also a newbie), telling him she woluld have funds available this morning. The idiot puts that on the auction, along with my phone number, and someone else hits buy it now before her bank in california opens.

I dunno what the guy was thinking, I would never have put that in the ad, tipping a hand, and especially with a phone number. Or am I just crazy?

so, before she gets her money in her checking acct, she gets shut out, because seller posted my question. I HATED making that call telling her car was sold.

buyer is new also.. hope it works out for them both...at least the guy was bidding consistently

link to auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Karmann-Ghia-72-Ghia-convertible-100-restored-to-new-condition_W0QQitemZ320213654799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320213654799

65cruiser
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
He had a lot of bids and a lot of watchers on that car. He probably put your response out there so that others "watching" might think it was about to get away.

And it worked.[8D]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

65cruiser
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
He had a lot of bids and a lot of watchers on that car. He probably put your response out there so that others "watching" might think it was about to get away.

And it worked.[8D]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!

Allan Songer
02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Why didn't you just hit the "Buy It Now" button for her? I don't get it.

Allan Songer
02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Why didn't you just hit the "Buy It Now" button for her? I don't get it.

Dick Steinkamp
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
If the seller was a "newbie" he may not have realized that checking the box under his response to the question would bring the question and answer to the listing. Or, he felt you were SUPPOSED to show all questions and answers.

The sale of the car to another buyer may not have been related to the fact that your friend expressed an interest in the car. It may have happened anyway.

The seller gives you 48 hours to make the deposit. Why was having the funds available the next morning even an issue to discuss with the seller?

It's a pretty car. I'm sure your friend is sorry she missed it, but that's life. The same could have happened at a used car lot or a Craig's list ad.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
If the seller was a "newbie" he may not have realized that checking the box under his response to the question would bring the question and answer to the listing. Or, he felt you were SUPPOSED to show all questions and answers.

The sale of the car to another buyer may not have been related to the fact that your friend expressed an interest in the car. It may have happened anyway.

The seller gives you 48 hours to make the deposit. Why was having the funds available the next morning even an issue to discuss with the seller?

It's a pretty car. I'm sure your friend is sorry she missed it, but that's life. The same could have happened at a used car lot or a Craig's list ad.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

bams50
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Only thing you might be upset about with the seller is the listing of your phone number- and even that is likely an honest mistake. I can't imagine why you didnt just hit the BIN- it said you had 48 hours to pay?? Assuming you were sure about your buyer's funds, the seller had no reason to know.

You might consider dropping a note to the seller saying you'd still buy it if the winner falls through.

To answer your question- if you were to be upset, it would have to be at yourself; the seller did nothing wrong.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Only thing you might be upset about with the seller is the listing of your phone number- and even that is likely an honest mistake. I can't imagine why you didnt just hit the BIN- it said you had 48 hours to pay?? Assuming you were sure about your buyer's funds, the seller had no reason to know.

You might consider dropping a note to the seller saying you'd still buy it if the winner falls through.

To answer your question- if you were to be upset, it would have to be at yourself; the seller did nothing wrong.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

wally
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The glass is half FULL, because now You should be able to find a really nice Studebaker for that 15k! That said, I have been frustrated with EBay on occasion, too. Usually it has to do with my naivete about the way it works, and I learn the hard way. In only 5 days of bidding, the little Zilchwaggon was closing in on the BIN fast. When time is of the essence, you hafta be Cat quick, and hit the BIN! But, I can't see any truly bad intentions by the seller for posting your question and his reponse in the listing. It is the usual procedure. BTW, I notice that three of the bidders, including the buyer and runner-up appear to be first-time EBayers, with zero transactions. Hmm. I wish you better luck, next time.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

wally
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The glass is half FULL, because now You should be able to find a really nice Studebaker for that 15k! That said, I have been frustrated with EBay on occasion, too. Usually it has to do with my naivete about the way it works, and I learn the hard way. In only 5 days of bidding, the little Zilchwaggon was closing in on the BIN fast. When time is of the essence, you hafta be Cat quick, and hit the BIN! But, I can't see any truly bad intentions by the seller for posting your question and his reponse in the listing. It is the usual procedure. BTW, I notice that three of the bidders, including the buyer and runner-up appear to be first-time EBayers, with zero transactions. Hmm. I wish you better luck, next time.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

sweetolbob
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay. I would suggest that you and her stay in contact with the seller, the buyer has zero (0) feedback. This usually suggests that the buyer is just screwing around and will never complete the sale. I agree, just hit the buy it now. The seller will also learn on big ticket items to require several positive feedbacks

sweetolbob
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay. I would suggest that you and her stay in contact with the seller, the buyer has zero (0) feedback. This usually suggests that the buyer is just screwing around and will never complete the sale. I agree, just hit the buy it now. The seller will also learn on big ticket items to require several positive feedbacks

52hawk
02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I dont' know what the Ghia is worth,but by using the BIN,he might have lost a couple bucks[or couple thousand]! He might be kicking himself in the butt right now.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk

52hawk
02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I dont' know what the Ghia is worth,but by using the BIN,he might have lost a couple bucks[or couple thousand]! He might be kicking himself in the butt right now.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk

rbruner
02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
A wise man once said "Buying a car on e-bay is like getting a haircut over the phone".:D

rbruner
02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
A wise man once said "Buying a car on e-bay is like getting a haircut over the phone".:D

52hawk
02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't put any stock into feedback any more.I've had some great experiences with first time ebayers-everybodys got to start at zero.
I've bought and sold about 140 items on ebay,including a few cars.
But Ive never had a haircut over the phone.....[:0]

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk

52hawk
02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't put any stock into feedback any more.I've had some great experiences with first time ebayers-everybodys got to start at zero.
I've bought and sold about 140 items on ebay,including a few cars.
But Ive never had a haircut over the phone.....[:0]

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk

bams50
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by rbruner

And a WISER man on this Forum said "Buying cars on eBay can make you a lot of money"... I'll protect his anonymity by only listing his initials: JDP...........

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by rbruner

And a WISER man on this Forum said "Buying cars on eBay can make you a lot of money"... I'll protect his anonymity by only listing his initials: JDP...........

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Once had a high bidder on a Studebaker that stayed that way for the bulk of the auction. He was driving me nuts planning shipping, where to get parts, what color he should do the interior, a very excited guy. Well, he got snipe'ed in the last six seconds and wrote me a nasty e-mail chiding me for the way "I ran the auction" and screwing him at the last minute.

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Lark 2 door
57 wagon
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP
02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Once had a high bidder on a Studebaker that stayed that way for the bulk of the auction. He was driving me nuts planning shipping, where to get parts, what color he should do the interior, a very excited guy. Well, he got snipe'ed in the last six seconds and wrote me a nasty e-mail chiding me for the way "I ran the auction" and screwing him at the last minute.

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Lark 2 door
57 wagon
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

Thomas63R2
02-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Mark, what is the problem? I regularly see phone numbers listed in the Q&A section from seller, buyer, and agent (you are your friends agent). You stated that you were satisified the car was as represented - he replied that you should click on the buy it now button and he even directed you to the eBay help menu and for you to select "Completing a purchase". You didn't click on the buy it now button. Are you suggesting that merely because you told him your friend was getting the money together that he should wait? Why shouldn't he think that because you didn't click on the buy it now button that you changed your mind?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thomas63R2
02-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Mark, what is the problem? I regularly see phone numbers listed in the Q&A section from seller, buyer, and agent (you are your friends agent). You stated that you were satisified the car was as represented - he replied that you should click on the buy it now button and he even directed you to the eBay help menu and for you to select "Completing a purchase". You didn't click on the buy it now button. Are you suggesting that merely because you told him your friend was getting the money together that he should wait? Why shouldn't he think that because you didn't click on the buy it now button that you changed your mind?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

markansas859
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thereason I didn't hit the buy it now button besides waiting for her funds to tranfer, she wanted an estimate on shipping the car.. I called JP, got the number, and called the shipping company when they opened. waiting for vher call back, I hit refresh button, and car had sold . then I scrolled down and saw a conversation I sent to a seller, with my phone number, wantging to talk to him. I would NEVER have postged that info, if I was selling a car. I guess I have more couth, and descretion than some. Maybe because when handling or spending someone elses money, you have more caution.

whats done is done, thats the second screwing by a newbie seller I have been involved with in the last 90 days..the other one involving coins I never received, and a really dumb newbie that ignored PAYPAL inquiries, and left money in his PAYPAL account from other sales. I got a refund in full on day 11.

bottom line, its been a learning experience

markansas859
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thereason I didn't hit the buy it now button besides waiting for her funds to tranfer, she wanted an estimate on shipping the car.. I called JP, got the number, and called the shipping company when they opened. waiting for vher call back, I hit refresh button, and car had sold . then I scrolled down and saw a conversation I sent to a seller, with my phone number, wantging to talk to him. I would NEVER have postged that info, if I was selling a car. I guess I have more couth, and descretion than some. Maybe because when handling or spending someone elses money, you have more caution.

whats done is done, thats the second screwing by a newbie seller I have been involved with in the last 90 days..the other one involving coins I never received, and a really dumb newbie that ignored PAYPAL inquiries, and left money in his PAYPAL account from other sales. I got a refund in full on day 11.

bottom line, its been a learning experience

65cruiser
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how you got screwed by a newbie seller. The auction had a valid Buy It Now, somebody else hit the BIN before you did. I think you've got to figure out who you're upset with, the seller or yourself for not hitting the BIN sooner.

quote:[i] thats the second screwing by a newbie seller I have been involved with in the last 90 days..the other one involving coins I never received, and a really dumb newbie that ignored PAYPAL inquiries, and left money in his PAYPAL account from other sales. I got a refund in full on day 11.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

65cruiser
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how you got screwed by a newbie seller. The auction had a valid Buy It Now, somebody else hit the BIN before you did. I think you've got to figure out who you're upset with, the seller or yourself for not hitting the BIN sooner.

quote:[i] thats the second screwing by a newbie seller I have been involved with in the last 90 days..the other one involving coins I never received, and a really dumb newbie that ignored PAYPAL inquiries, and left money in his PAYPAL account from other sales. I got a refund in full on day 11.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
The nice thing about eBay - everyone can now get a taste of what it's like to be a sales person. And car dealers aren't the only ones taking heat for selling cars. When there's only one item available, first one across the finish line with the money wins.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
The nice thing about eBay - everyone can now get a taste of what it's like to be a sales person. And car dealers aren't the only ones taking heat for selling cars. When there's only one item available, first one across the finish line with the money wins.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

bams50
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Right, Kevin. Interesting thing that happens in my business (used car sales):

Someone comes in and looks at a vehicle; loves it- just what they wanted, low price. They hem and haw, thinking they'll get some kind of advantage. Maybe they leave, thinking that'll get me to drop another dollar. Come back the next day or more and the vehicle's sold, and they're mad at me for selling it![|)] I tried telling folks that there's no guarantee that the only way to guarantee the vehicle will be theirs is to put some money down, but then they think it's some dealer's high-pressure tactic... so now I deal straight-up, and take the heat for letting someone else rob them of their car....[xx(]

The fact that the OP still calls this a "screwing" in spite of clear explanations to the contrary just shows that there will always be those who set their mind, ask for opinions, and refuse to see logic. I understand being mad at yourself for dropping the ball, but transferring that to the seller who did nothing wrong is just unfair. In fact, posting that a buyer is sold on the item and their purchase is imminent was an excellent- and fair- maneuver; the conspiracy angle is REALLY overused. Again- the correct thing to do was to not say anything and just hit the BIN!!

Hopefully anyone else reading this will learn from it.

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Right, Kevin. Interesting thing that happens in my business (used car sales):

Someone comes in and looks at a vehicle; loves it- just what they wanted, low price. They hem and haw, thinking they'll get some kind of advantage. Maybe they leave, thinking that'll get me to drop another dollar. Come back the next day or more and the vehicle's sold, and they're mad at me for selling it![|)] I tried telling folks that there's no guarantee that the only way to guarantee the vehicle will be theirs is to put some money down, but then they think it's some dealer's high-pressure tactic... so now I deal straight-up, and take the heat for letting someone else rob them of their car....[xx(]

The fact that the OP still calls this a "screwing" in spite of clear explanations to the contrary just shows that there will always be those who set their mind, ask for opinions, and refuse to see logic. I understand being mad at yourself for dropping the ball, but transferring that to the seller who did nothing wrong is just unfair. In fact, posting that a buyer is sold on the item and their purchase is imminent was an excellent- and fair- maneuver; the conspiracy angle is REALLY overused. Again- the correct thing to do was to not say anything and just hit the BIN!!

Hopefully anyone else reading this will learn from it.

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't know if I've told this story, but my son has the salesman gene and taught me a line to use with bargain hunters. He'd spent about a half hour with a customer trying to squeeze the last dime off the price of a guitar.
My kid asked "Are you looking for a "good buy"? the guys replies "yes, I am" My son says "OK then, goodbye", turns and walks away. BTW, the guys chased him down, credit card in hand and took the deal. :)

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Lark 2 door
57 wagon
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't know if I've told this story, but my son has the salesman gene and taught me a line to use with bargain hunters. He'd spent about a half hour with a customer trying to squeeze the last dime off the price of a guitar.
My kid asked "Are you looking for a "good buy"? the guys replies "yes, I am" My son says "OK then, goodbye", turns and walks away. BTW, the guys chased him down, credit card in hand and took the deal. :)

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Lark 2 door
57 wagon
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

Thomas63R2
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
One of the most interesting aspects of the buy/sell process is when the buyer takes "mental" possesion vs. completing the purchase transaction. In Mark's mind the deal was done vs. the reality of not completing the buy it now. If you send a question to an eBay seller who is posting all questions, there should be no surprise that your question gets posted.

I currently work in commercial vehicle sales, and I have a number of years of retail new and used vehicle sales. It was not common, but every now and then a would be buyer would leave, then return later after the vehicle was sold to another buyer - and I would hear the complaint "you sold my car!" Knowing that the would be buyer felt hurt that they missed getting the car they wanted I would agree that it was a shame - but that we haven't figured out a better way of selling cars then to let the people who completed the sales transaction leave with the car.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thomas63R2
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
One of the most interesting aspects of the buy/sell process is when the buyer takes "mental" possesion vs. completing the purchase transaction. In Mark's mind the deal was done vs. the reality of not completing the buy it now. If you send a question to an eBay seller who is posting all questions, there should be no surprise that your question gets posted.

I currently work in commercial vehicle sales, and I have a number of years of retail new and used vehicle sales. It was not common, but every now and then a would be buyer would leave, then return later after the vehicle was sold to another buyer - and I would hear the complaint "you sold my car!" Knowing that the would be buyer felt hurt that they missed getting the car they wanted I would agree that it was a shame - but that we haven't figured out a better way of selling cars then to let the people who completed the sales transaction leave with the car.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

bams50
02-06-2008, 04:25 AM

we haven't figured out a better way of selling cars then to let the people who completed the sales transaction leave with the car.

LOVE that quote, Thomas... I'm going to use that![8D]

The concept of "taking mental possession" without actually completing the deal is well-known in sales, and as you said, folks cause themselves plenty of heartache when they do this... and this thread is a version of that[V] The result is wrongly blaming the seller...

I hope the OP can learn from this experience, and get off blaming the seller of the car for the outcome; or it will happen again in the future:(

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
02-06-2008, 04:25 AM

we haven't figured out a better way of selling cars then to let the people who completed the sales transaction leave with the car.

LOVE that quote, Thomas... I'm going to use that![8D]

The concept of "taking mental possession" without actually completing the deal is well-known in sales, and as you said, folks cause themselves plenty of heartache when they do this... and this thread is a version of that[V] The result is wrongly blaming the seller...

I hope the OP can learn from this experience, and get off blaming the seller of the car for the outcome; or it will happen again in the future:(

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by 556063

I have sold many cars, both privately and professionally. I have had cases where someone thought that they would get leverage by walking away and coming back the next day for the car. I have had cases where the car sold to the next person that looked at it. Some people accept it and others get very upset about it and try to place some kind of blame on me when I did not even have a commitment or deposit from them. The strangest case may be where a guy at the next desk and I were both simultaneously showing used cars to families. When the customer that I had decided on a minivan, I started to write up the order. For some reason, the guy at the next desk and I communicated on something. I discovered that he was just finishing the contract on that minivan. I told my customer that it just sold to the family at the next desk. I tried to interest them in a similar minivan on the lot. They left in a huff convinced that I was pulling some sort of fast one. If they had been a little quicker in their decision, they would have been the purchasers and I would have made the commission on the sale. I still don't understand why they would think that I would screw them out of the sale and myself out of the commission.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by 556063

I have sold many cars, both privately and professionally. I have had cases where someone thought that they would get leverage by walking away and coming back the next day for the car. I have had cases where the car sold to the next person that looked at it. Some people accept it and others get very upset about it and try to place some kind of blame on me when I did not even have a commitment or deposit from them. The strangest case may be where a guy at the next desk and I were both simultaneously showing used cars to families. When the customer that I had decided on a minivan, I started to write up the order. For some reason, the guy at the next desk and I communicated on something. I discovered that he was just finishing the contract on that minivan. I told my customer that it just sold to the family at the next desk. I tried to interest them in a similar minivan on the lot. They left in a huff convinced that I was pulling some sort of fast one. If they had been a little quicker in their decision, they would have been the purchasers and I would have made the commission on the sale. I still don't understand why they would think that I would screw them out of the sale and myself out of the commission.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bams50
02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Great example Gary, and well said. I'd say Welcome to my world, but you've already been there;)

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Great example Gary, and well said. I'd say Welcome to my world, but you've already been there;)

Parish, central NY 13131

63larkcustom
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Exactly Gary, and when you try to explain that can happen, the customer thinks your trying to force them into that car. Then they come back its gone and remind them you siad it could happen, if your lucky enough to have a rapport built they will usually buy the next one right away.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/63larkcustom/betty3rd.jpg

63larkcustom
Exactly Gary, and when you try to explain that can happen, the customer thinks your trying to force them into that car. Then they come back its gone and remind them you siad it could happen, if your lucky enough to have a rapport built they will usually buy the next one right away.

Guido
I have been buying and selling "stuff" for well over 3 decades and can't tell you how many people have told me they are going to buy something to never be heard from again. That was the case with 2 people on my Dodge Power Wagon. I just tell them the first one there with the money is the owner.

I once had a nice 8' Bushhog for sale and a guy drove from a couple of hours away and left after giving me a $200.00 deposit. I never heard from him again and was unable to reach him. The check cleared and after 6 months I sold it to someone else.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Guido
I have been buying and selling "stuff" for well over 3 decades and can't tell you how many people have told me they are going to buy something to never be heard from again. That was the case with 2 people on my Dodge Power Wagon. I just tell them the first one there with the money is the owner.

I once had a nice 8' Bushhog for sale and a guy drove from a couple of hours away and left after giving me a $200.00 deposit. I never heard from him again and was unable to reach him. The check cleared and after 6 months I sold it to someone else.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

63larkcustom
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
When I started in the car business, one of the old timers had a saying "be backs don't come back". While not univerally the case, it usually is.

63larkcustom
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
When I started in the car business, one of the old timers had a saying "be backs don't come back". While not univerally the case, it usually is.

Thomas63R2
02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Bob, I hope you get good use out of my quote. My office is flanked on both sides by jr. salesmen - and they have surprised me by how much they pay attention to my words. One of them keeps urging me to write a small salesman's guide. Both of them have been amazed how careful word choices and "Thomas-isms" can make a difference. Mostly I have tried to instill in them my concept of "with grace": how to keep your cool even when under fire from the toughest of customers!

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thomas63R2
02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Bob, I hope you get good use out of my quote. My office is flanked on both sides by jr. salesmen - and they have surprised me by how much they pay attention to my words. One of them keeps urging me to write a small salesman's guide. Both of them have been amazed how careful word choices and "Thomas-isms" can make a difference. Mostly I have tried to instill in them my concept of "with grace": how to keep your cool even when under fire from the toughest of customers!

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

buddymander
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Aren't we always the angriest at ourselves? I've had people interested in cars I had for sale acting like they were serious...so I asked for a deposit. Starting at like $200 and continuing to lower the price, eventually (just for fun) going as low as $10; and STILL no deposit! Next time I'm going to ask for 50 cents before I let them go. As far as posting your number online, especially on eBay, I almost always post my number in my auctions and have never had a bad call experience. 310-918-1421.

buddymander
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Aren't we always the angriest at ourselves? I've had people interested in cars I had for sale acting like they were serious...so I asked for a deposit. Starting at like $200 and continuing to lower the price, eventually (just for fun) going as low as $10; and STILL no deposit! Next time I'm going to ask for 50 cents before I let them go. As far as posting your number online, especially on eBay, I almost always post my number in my auctions and have never had a bad call experience. 310-918-1421.

02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I've always followed the rule that honesty is the only policy. Even though most people are conditioned to look for someone else to blame when something goes wrong for them in today's society, I've found most people will understand if you break bad news to them after first explaining that what you are about to tell them is going to hurt you more than it will hurt them. If they storm out in a huff after hearing that, and the sale was going to result in a long term relationship between you and your customer, the relationship was likely to be a poor one anyway, and you may be better off that the sale did not close in the long run.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I've always followed the rule that honesty is the only policy. Even though most people are conditioned to look for someone else to blame when something goes wrong for them in today's society, I've found most people will understand if you break bad news to them after first explaining that what you are about to tell them is going to hurt you more than it will hurt them. If they storm out in a huff after hearing that, and the sale was going to result in a long term relationship between you and your customer, the relationship was likely to be a poor one anyway, and you may be better off that the sale did not close in the long run.

Kevin Wolford
Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
60 Lark VI Conv.
63 Avanti R1

markansas859
02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
buyer is new also.. hope it works out for them both...at least the guy was bidding consistently

link to auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Karmann-Ghia-72-Ghia-convertible-100-restored-to-new-condition_W0QQitemZ320213654799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320213654799
[/quote]

well, looks like the karma 18 wheeler hit this good, and from several angles.

car relisted for some reason.. buyer flaked out??

seller spooked my friend, she refused to reconsider it... Monday afternoon her boyfriend in Chicago proposed to her, so she is moving ASAP. Max already has 2 cars, worked out good for her.

this is one I called correctly.. zero feedback seller with no discretion, and zero feedback buyer deserved each other..

markansas859
02-12-2008, 07:37 AM

link to auction:

[/quote]

well, looks like the karma 18 wheeler hit this good, and from several angles.

car relisted for some reason.. buyer flaked out??

seller spooked my friend, she refused to reconsider it... Monday afternoon her boyfriend in Chicago proposed to her, so she is moving ASAP. Max already has 2 cars, worked out good for her.

this is one I called correctly.. zero feedback seller with no discretion, and zero feedback buyer deserved each other..