64 commander questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 commander questions

My 64 commander 2 door post (64s 4215 serial number) has a transplant 259 and long tailshaft 3 SPD. On closer inspection it has a Dana 27 with 11 in. Brakes and 11 in. Up front. I'm assuming when the engine swap was done the rear end and front brakes were swapped at the same time.when ever it was done it was a long time ago because the nuts and bolts haven't seen a wrench in a long long time. The 6 cylinder cars had 10 inch drums all around right? I haven't had the engine apart so maybe someone put a 289 çrank in the 259. I just got a new eleçtronic dist.,8.5 mm wires and 50 k coil for $209.00 looks like a well made unit, can't wait to get it installed and get the old girl running. Dave.

If the car was originally built with disc brakes, it would have 11 inch brakes in the back. As far as I'm aware, the only 11 inch rear brakes were the ones that came with the disc brake package. If it came with standard drum brakes for a six cylinder, the rear brakes would be 9 inch diameter. The standard V8 drum brake srtup would have 10 inch rear drums.

But there is no telling what has been done to the car in the last 54 years.
    Last edited by r1lark; 05-28-2018, 05:28 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
    X